Dahlia advice

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Dahlia advice

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

What to do with Dahlia after it has flowered is my basic question.
Let it be as it is or cut it back(if yes how much).
Or take the tubers out and store them somewhere but keeping in mind our winters are not that hard.
Moreover my Dahlia is suffering due mites/fungus and i want to get rid of the all the leftover foliage/stem so that when it starts again the thing is over? is this possible

Thanks
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Re: Dahlia advice

Post by Syed Adnan »

My only experience with Figaroes is that i left them after flowering in pots until a healthy tuber is developed , i didn't cut them until the foilage is dry by itself. here winter is not that harsh so leaving them in pots outside wasn't much problem. I take out one tuber and store in the house but it dried quickly, recommended to keep them in soil in pots or ground.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Farhan if you are asking about Deco Dahlia(so called Indian) purchase new cuttings each year.they do not flower from tubers to our expectations in second year.its just because our summers are very hot.
if you are asking for annuals like Figaro,Garden wonder or Red skin they come true from tubers each year.just leave the tubers in the well drained soil & they will bounce back in August.they flower rapidly from tubers as compared from seedlings.
The annual type Dahlia is much fitter for our climate than its Per cousin Indian Dalia.Indian is good if some one is living at Murree or any other hilly station.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thanks Adnan and umer bhai....so what i understand....(i intended to ask about both varieties but especially Deco)

Dahia will lose its foliage by itself with cold weather
Leaving the tubers in ground is better option

So is it safe to lift the tubers and place them elsewhere/back of border once the foliage is gone because i don't want to keep a front border occupied till August?
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Yes Farhan it will loose all foliage when hit by first frost.i,l post some pictures of my last year Decoratives.they do not flower in the second year.last year i planted some 100 plants.which i uprooted this year.the reason is simple i am no more interested in Indian Dahlia.i like a plant full of blooms.what to do with few foot balls.Decoratives are superb option but not in our climate.i hope you can under stand my point of view.
this year i got 35-42 blooms on one plant of Mari gold Bonanza & Inca.i want annuals like this,full of blooms.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Yes Farhan it will loose all foliage when hit by first frost.i,l post some pictures of my last year Decoratives.they do not flower in the second year.last year i planted some 100 plants.which i uprooted this year.the reason is simple i am no more interested in Indian Dahlia.i like a plant full of blooms.what to do with few foot balls.Decoratives are superb option but not in our climate.i hope you can under stand my point of view.
this year i got 35-42 blooms on one plant of Mari gold Bonanza & Inca.i want annuals like this,full of blooms.
You spoke my mind.
The Kasmir Dahlia (now a days called Indian) gives best result from cuttings. So take cuttings from the sprouted tubers. Best is good quality seed Dahlia, sow it in August and have flowers December onward.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Yes Brig sb its good to take cuttings from last year tubers sprouting.the results are good from cuttings.i have wind up Kashmir Dahlia even from cuttings it do not give that results which i enjoyed at Abbottabad.i think Amaryllis is the right bulb for our climate.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Yes Brig sb its good to take cuttings from last year tubers sprouting.the results are good from cuttings.i have wind up Kashmir Dahlia even from cuttings it do not give that results which i enjoyed at Abbottabad.i think Amaryllis is the right bulb for our climate.
Daylilies are even more rewarding.
saqib
City: Gujranwala
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Perennials,Bulbs

Post by saqib »

i have a question if tuber is stored in pot ,during dormancy do they need some watering especially in heat months of may -june
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

After this post in January i sheared dahlia from the base and relocated the bulbs by taking them out without any special care. They sprouted again within 15 days and now are a healthy plant. I think watering them will make them sprout again......i think this shouldn't be a problem if they sprout. Weather is suitable if placed in partial sun.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”