mealy bug destroying mango trees

Moderator: Izhar

Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

mealy bug destroying mango trees

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

AOA Respected members my mango trees are destroyed from previous 3 years by attack of mealybug (gadheri common name)now this attack is spreadign in kinno trees also ..this bug lays eggs in april may and eggs stay dorment till january. in january small bugs start thier journey to the newly sprouted mango flowers and destroy them..by googling i found a solution of funnel trap now question is where from can i get funnel trap and any other method to avoid mealybug.....i lives in sheikhupura near lahore..
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: mealy bug destroying mango trees

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Don't worry mealybug is not that deadly and can be controlled. There are varieties of insecticides available to control them even soap water will work however let the experts have a say.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana

thanks for reply irfan bhai but how can i use soap water on tall mango trees it is impossible.although i will use this trick on my garden plants like gerbera and hibiscus they were also spoiled last year with mealybug it is surely a dangrous bug..
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I don't know where this trap will be available but looking at it seems that it can be made indigenously with plastic....
http://www.pakentomol.com/Downloads/Iss ... ento11.pdf

Bayer Movento as recommended by bayer
http://www.bayercropscience.com.pk/BCSW ... ccm=200010

"First and the most important factor is to take action after the eggs are laid. Then the soil can be exposed to enable the eggs to be destroyed in the summer heat or to be picked up by the birds. These eggs take several months to hatch. Also the areas of infestation could be poisoned by the application of an effective soil insecticide so that the hatching insects get poisoned and die. You can also apply poly-bands around the main trunk of the tree . The insects cannot fly (only males can fly and that too when adult), they slip and fall......i suppose eggs are laid in soil and its the right time now a days to destroy these eggs through effective insecticides such as movento.

If the trees are infested with bugs then spraying Methyl parathion at one ml to a litre of water ensures quite an effective control."
Last edited by Farhan Ahmed on January 5th, 2013, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Extracts from another source

MANGO MEALY BUG
DAMAGE SYMPTOMS
Only the nymphs & wingless females are destructive & suck plant juice , causing tender shoots and flowers to dry up.
The nymphs crawl on the plant during January- March period and feed on the twigs, leaves and inflorescence. The young fruits also become juiceless and drop off. No fruits are set when early infestation is serious on inflorescence.

CONTROL MEASURES
Destroy eggs laid under infested trees after scraping the soil 6” deep to expose the eggs. Burn all dry leaves and twigs in May-June.
To prevent nymphs from crawling up the stem, apply 8 cm wide sticky bands, or polythene sheets, about a meter above ground towards mid.
Burn nymphs congregated below the bands, or drench them in kerosene mixed with water.

Chemical control with non-specific pesticides.
RD & E Area
The predator Sumnius renardi is available in Pakistan its argumentation and releases may be made on large scale.

http://aciar.gov.au/files/node/774/02%2 ... kistan.pdf
Hamad Ahmed Kisana

thank you farhan bhai for these precious infos now i am able to fight with mealy bug ..and thanks for giving your precious time. :D

Return to “Pests and Diseases”