Impatiens not flowering

Moderator: Izhar

jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Impatiens not flowering

Post by jdashraf »

My impatiens have given flower-buds couple of times but buds fall before flowering. Pictures attached. What should I do to make them flower?
Attachments
Pic 2
Pic 2
Pic 1
Pic 1
Javed Ashraf.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Impatiens not flowering

Post by M Farooq »

jdashraf wrote:My impatiens have given flower-buds couple of times but buds fall before flowering. Pictures attached. What should I do to make them flower?
Your plant is under severe stress due to water starvation or heat. Impatiens (although some people whether this is true Impatiens) is very heat sensitive, but it likes bright sunlight with plenty of water along with good soil drainage :-)
jdashraf
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

I was told that they need to be protected from direct sunlight, so I have kept them under shed with bright sun light. Initially I used to water them on daily basis it didn't work then I started watering it on alternate day, it didn't work either. Please guide.
Javed Ashraf.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

You must know that Balsams ..are a very difficult plant. I have killed them very successfully despite careful measures/
In my poor opinion they dislike heat, grow in total shade and require moist soil which is a difficult proposition in our summers. I am yet to come across a healthy balsamina anywhere around Up North.

I will never try them again, they are not worth the effort keeping in mind their ordinary flower and plant form.
jdashraf

Post by jdashraf »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:You must know that Balsams ..are a very difficult plant. I have killed them very successfully despite careful measures/
In my poor opinion they dislike heat, grow in total shade and require moist soil which is a difficult proposition in our summers. I am yet to come across a healthy balsamina anywhere around Up North.

I will never try them again, they are not worth the effort keeping in mind their ordinary flower and plant form.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Mere leye keya hukam hay?
Javed Ashraf.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:You must know that Balsams ..are a very difficult plant. I have killed them very successfully despite careful measures/

Totally agree with your experience. Just checked meaning of its name- rightly named as "Impatient" in Latin...perhaps it is impatient to die no matter how much care you provide :-)

It is indeed a delicate plant. Once it is heat damaged, chances of recovery are very low. Not sure about their preference for shade. In Karachi University, these plants seemed to do well in bright light provided the soil was wet- if my memory serves right.

I think both of us are right...it can survive shade and no-shade according to this website:

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?Lat ... +balsamina

"Impatiens balsamina is a ANNUAL growing to 0.6 m (2ft) by 0.5 m (1ft 8in). It is frost tender. The flowers are hermaphrodite (have both male and female organs) and are pollinated by Insects.

Suitable for: light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay) soils and can grow in heavy clay soil. Suitable pH: acid, neutral and basic (alkaline) soils. It can grow in semi-shade (light woodland) or no shade. It prefers moist soil."
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

jdashraf wrote:

Jane dijiye isko
jdashraf

Post by jdashraf »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:
jdashraf wrote:

Jane dijiye isko
:( :( :( :(
Javed Ashraf.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”