caladium problem

Moderator: Izhar

U.A
City: lahore

caladium problem

Post by U.A »

i hv two potted caladiums. there leaves are turning yellow and some of the leaves are showing burn tips. they are in full shade and bright light. also watering them regularly. cant understand what is happening to them. any suggesion???
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Re: caladium problem

Post by Tahir Khan »

U.A wrote:i hv two potted caladiums. there leaves are turning yellow and some of the leaves are showing burn tips. they are in full shade and bright light. also watering them regularly. cant understand what is happening to them. any suggesion???
Have you checked the soil and drainage ?? the bulbs underneath might be rotting :!:
U.A

Post by U.A »

i guess drainage is the problem. can u plz suggest how can i improve the drainage??
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Do you want to save the POT or BULB?

if bulb then break the pot, add some free draining media such as sand in new pot. Put the Gachi in new pot. Ensure that the drainage hole in the bottom is open and large enough. Do not put "tikri", small stone to cover this hole. I am assuming that your media is clay like because of which this problem can arise or you have been over watering.

When you break the pot try not to break the "gachi", or as less as possible which is aim of breaking the pot.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

U.A wrote:i guess drainage is the problem. can u plz suggest how can i improve the drainage??
I will add to Farhan sb's suggestion.... Use dry leaves to make the soil more arable and free draining, crush up some handfuls of leaves and mix with the potting soil along with sand... The ratio should be 1 part soil + 2 part crushed leaves + 1/2 part sand.

Mix these all up and pot the bulb again if it has not rot already... if so discard the bulb and get a new one.... Don't cover the drainage hole with a stone (Thikri) cover the hole with dry leaves to ensure max drainage.
U.A

Post by U.A »

thnx for ur suggetions. i m trying to save the bulb....

Return to “Pests and Diseases”