dry brown leaves on my zinnia

Moderator: Izhar

bigbaddoc
City: Islamabad

dry brown leaves on my zinnia

Post by bigbaddoc »

Hi,
i would really appreciate some help with my problem. I'm new to gardening. Recently i got some fully grown zinnia from the nursery. They had lovely flowers on them. On coming home i decided to move them to bigger pots ( 8" plastic ones). Then i realized my mistake. They were all severely root-bound. After transplanting half of them died. I don't think I over-water as they are usually a little limp in the late afternoon. My pots have excellent drainage (went crazy with a drill!). If I accidentally ever over water it just starts coming through the drain holes at the bottom. Then i got some seedlings from the nursery with 2-3 leaf sets each and transplanted them into pots. My problem is that the leaves on my older plants as well as newer seedlings become brown, sometimes the whole leaves sometimes the edges and the leaves become a little curled. All my pots are on the terrace in full sun. I got them 10 days ago.
UMAR KHAN

Re: dry brown leaves on my zinnia

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Hai in the first case i think its because of root disturbance.but the second ones as you said were small planted small seedlings.i think its because of the hot temp on the terrace.place your plants where they can recive some shade in the afternoon.secondly do not sprinkle water over zinnia foliage.Also consult Mirafzal,izhar & khabbab sb as they are already growing plants in containers on terrace.never pur matured seedlings or anual plants in small pots.they look good in nursery but a grat failure after replanting in the final rows.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Also post pics so the friends can find out easily whats the real problem.
bigbaddoc
City: Islamabad

Post by bigbaddoc »

Thanks for the reply Umar bhai. Will post as soon as possible.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

What was you potting mix? what was the ratio of manure and soil? did you checked for the pests on leaves? some pest pest may become visible after using a magnifying glass. What was your transplanting time? how are the new leaves?.....

lots of question??? a sharp picture can answer most of these... :)

Return to “Pests and Diseases”