Amaryllis Disease ?

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Amaryllis Disease ?

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Atif drench your plants with fungicide spray and hope for the best.
Are these all imported varieties?
Where are you located?
atif786
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Every plant with blooms and fragrance

Post by atif786 »

Thanks but which fungicide do u suggest?
I'm living in Rawalpindi but I've been collecting these since I was in Lahore.
Yes, most of them are imported as told by vendors (mr.raza) in most cases. However, I have recently imported few from uk and usa as well.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Sir Arif there is a light yellow stripe on each of the Atif,s Amaryllis.May be it a fungus.I have never seen this before.Your guaid lines are very very important Arif as i also have some Amaryllis. You are the most expert person on this beautiful bulb.
atif786

Post by atif786 »

Check out the dead/black new leaves in both of the images above.

I've already sprayed two fungicides I.e Redomil gold (metalaxyl m , mancozeb) and dolomite (same formula) for Atleast 8 times but in vain.
Which fungicide or medicine do u suggest?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Most of your Hippeastrums are precious imports. The dead young leaves in the center could be due to solid fertiliser granules trapped in the center or a rot due to some larva or excessive water trapped in there, the others are just mark of injury, nothing to worry about.
For the ones having central dead leaf;Look for a tip of new emerging leaf if it is there, do not worry.
Pull out the dead leaf, if the base of leaf is dry and crisp,it will recover but if it is mushy and rotten then the bulb requires surgical help.
Your bulbs are too deep, remove some soil and expose the shoulder of bulbs.
If the dead leaf you pulled was rotten then to save the bulb there are two options.
1 Cut off all leaves from neck without lifting the bulb from pot, if the center is black, remove the dead tissue with a sharp knife dust the wound with fungicide powder and do not water until new leaves appear.
2 If the rot is quite extensive then the only option is to slice the bulb in four from top to bottom, remove the dead tissue totally dost the raw surfaces with anti fungal powder and re- plant all portions with neck exposed, water sparingly, hope fully new bulb lets will form in the cuttings.

You may consider to;
Stop water from December.
In February remove the soil up to middle of bulb.
Re-pot without disturbing the roots to bring the neck up to rim of the pot, water sparingly.
With a sharp knife cut off all leaves from neck.
Liberally spray with an insecticide and later with a fungicide.
Do not water until the leaves or scape emerges.
Good luck
Arif
suffi
City: Haripur
Gardening Interests: kitchen gardenign , landscaping, medicinal plants reading and cultivation,

Post by suffi »

i think temprature reson
suffi
City: Haripur
Gardening Interests: kitchen gardenign , landscaping, medicinal plants reading and cultivation,

Post by suffi »

A few fungal diseases target amaryllis leaves, making them unsightly and diminishing the plant’s ability to produce food for itself through photosynthesis. Leaf spot, caused by the fungus Cercospora amaryllidis, causes light brown spots surrounded by either a dark brown or yellow ring. Brown leaf spot, caused by the fungus Accidium amaryllidis, causes similar spotting. Control with copper- or zinc-based fungicides according to label directions.
atif786

Post by atif786 »

@Muhammad Arif Khan. Thanks a lot sir. Your advise will definitely help me save my amaryllis.

I just re-checked my bulbs. Yes, the base below the dead leaves seem to be dry and healthy.
I've already stopped watering them and intend to cut the leaves as soon as they dry up. I'll re-check the base of leaves at that time.

Yes, the bulbs are too deep but I thought I'll re-plant them when they go dormant. Plus I also intend to change the soil Bcoz it contains some peat moss which may be the cause of excess humidity. Do u think it would be appropriate?
atif786

Post by atif786 »

@suffi. Thanks for replying. But as I already mentioned in my comment earlier, a couple of fungicides have already been tried. Which specific (available in market) fungicide do u suggest?

An old friend of mine advised me to apply copper sulphate(neela thotha) /water solution at 2gm per liter at the neck of bulb. Has anybody tried that before?
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

atif786 wrote:@suffi. Thanks for replying. But as I already mentioned in my comment earlier, a couple of fungicides have already been tried. Which specific (available in market) fungicide do u suggest?

An old friend of mine advised me to apply copper sulphate(neela thotha) /water solution at 2gm per liter at the neck of bulb. Has anybody tried that before?
IN My Opinion Copper sulphate when used as fungicide will suck minerals and water away as it is a hygroscopic substance and your plant will lack in minerals.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”