How long do pyrethroid stay effective against insects?

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

How long do pyrethroid stay effective against insects?

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Assalam o alekum

Any one could tell me how long do pyrethroid stay effective against insects? How many days after loses his effectiveness?

and could we use powdered pyrethroid such as coopex, panda etc. as spray to dilute it in water?

Thanks in anticipation.
Learn & Share
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: How long do pyrethroid stay effective against insects?

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

for that study its half life. Generally not more than couple of days.
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Permethrin (active ingredient of Coopex) is almost insoluble in water. Secondly, the filler is also water insoluble. This will ruin the spray nozzle. My kind request to new gardeners is that they should not spray anything on plants until and unless the product is specifically designed for plants. Recently, a gentleman sprayed Mortein (for mosquitoes) and all the plants died. This was not surprising. He said that he learnt about spraying Mortein in this forum. Coopex is not meant for plants, it should not be used on plants.

Regards.
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

M Farooq wrote:Permethrin (active ingredient of Coopex) is almost insoluble in water. Secondly, the filler is also water insoluble. This will ruin the spray nozzle. My kind request to new gardeners is that they should not spray anything on plants until and unless the product is specifically designed for plants. Recently, a gentleman sprayed Mortein (for mosquitoes) and all the plants died. This was not surprising. He said that he learnt about spraying Mortein in this forum. Coopex is not meant for plants, it should not be used on plants.

Regards.
Pyrethroid content in "Panda Insect Killing powder" is water soluble. It is in low concentration. I sprayed it on aphids and it solved my problem and now it is 5 days that I don't see any damage on my plants.

Actually pyrethroid is synthetic pyrethrine which is widely use for the insect killing and are non toxic on plants and animals in low concentration.
Learn & Share
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Muhammad Bilal wrote:Pyrethroid content in "Panda Insect Killing powder" is water soluble. It is in low concentration. I sprayed it on aphids and it solved my problem and now it is 5 days that I don't see any damage on my plants.
Actually pyrethroid is synthetic pyrethrine which is widely use for the insect killing and are non toxic on plants and animals in low concentration.
I am not sure why are you spraying household insect powders on plants. If the intention is safety, then you can search the forum for lot of natural recipes to get rid of pests esp. aphids e.g. boiled garlic water works like a magic on aphids. We discussed this in detail a year ago. The general point is if something is not meant for plants it shouldn't be used on plants. If we need phosphorous for our growth, we don't eat phosphate fertilizers, right? Check good companies like Bayer's website which might be selling pesticides based on pyrethroids.

Regards.
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

I used it to check its effectiveness and side effects on insects and Plants. Just for test only.
and found it with no problem.

I m agree with u if something is not prepared for the plants insect then we should not use it on plants.
Learn & Share
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Coopex/King etc powder says on its label that it can be used on plants. Its amongst the two insecticides i use. Liberally without an issue with great results. Its broad Spectrum and works handy for caterpillars etc.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

i use to shield in situ sown seeds from ants which often like to steal
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:Coopex/King etc powder says on its label that it can be used on plants. Its amongst the two insecticides i use. Liberally without an issue with great results. Its broad Spectrum and works handy for caterpillars etc.
Good and thank u Farhan Ahmed,
Actually it is the active ingredient and its concentration in the coopex or in panda insect killer. If they are pyrethroid and in low strength or concentration they are non phyto-toxic and affective as broad spectrum plant insecticide.
Learn & Share
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:Coopex/King etc powder says on its label that it can be used on plants. Its amongst the two insecticides i use. Liberally without an issue with great results. Its broad Spectrum and works handy for caterpillars etc.
It is interesting to see how big companies change their views depending on the country, just like the DDT's case.
The official website of Bayer, elsewhere, prohibits the same product (Coopex) being dusted directly on plants e.g.
http://www.bayeres.co.za/?option=3&id=1 ... com_task=1.
Attachments
Presentation1.jpg

Return to “Pests and Diseases”