Moderator: Izhar

mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin
City: Karachi

Home Made Organic Pesticides

Post by mirafzalkhan »

Soap Spry
Mix two table spoon dishwashing liquid and one table spoon cooking oil in one gallon (4.5 liter) water.
Effective on aphids, spider mites, whiteflies and thrips. Soap spray is not a preventative. It acts on contact, which means that it must touch the insect pest in order to be effective.

Garlic Spray
Blend one whole garlic bulb and mix with one gallon of water.
Allow the mixture to stand for 24 hours.
Strain the mixture.
Add one tablespoon of cooking oil.
Used for aphids, snails, chewing caterpillars or any soft-bodied insects.
Note: Garlic spray is an excellent mosquito repellant, spraying on plants & ponds will surely repel mosquitoes.

Fungicide Spray
One table spoon potassium carbonate (if not available use common baking soda)
One table spoon dishwashing liquid
One table spoon cooking oil.
One gallon water
Mix all ingredients & spray.
Control Powdery Mildew & other fungus.

Ant Killer
Ants themselves don't do much damage to your plants; however they protect and farm herds of aphids, cottony scales, Mealybugs, soft-type scales, and whiteflies. Ants save the eggs of these insects in their nests over the winter and bring them out in the spring. These insects produce honeydew while feeding on your plants which the ants just love.
2 cups Sugar
1 cup Water
2 TBS Boric Acid
Mix and place in small saucers around the home & garden.

Insecticide
Sprinkle a very thin layer of Boric acid (available at medical stores) around plants. It will eliminate Cockroaches, Ants and Termites.

Cinnamon as an anti-fungal
Cinnamon has excellent anti-fungal properties. New seedlings are often subject to “damping off,” a fungal condition brought on by excessive dampness. One unique and inexpensive way you can prevent this is by dusting the top of the potting mix with powdered cinnamon. It won’t stop the disease if it’s already taken hold, but it’ll keep it from taking hold in the first place. Putting over an area where the plant is cut after pruning will prevent fungal infection.

Good spray coverage is essential for good results. Spray it directly onto the insects when they are first sighted on buds, shoots, stems, bark and the underside of leaves. Make sure to wet both sides of the leaves and growing points of the plants.
Organic pesticides should be applied weekly for 3 to 4 weeks, and it can be used up to the day of harvest.
Don’t use in full sun or high temperatures, the best time to apply any pesticide is evening.
Spray a small amount first to make sure your plants are OK before a full-scale application is made.
Johara
Donor
Donor

Re: Home Made Organic Pesticides

Post by Johara »

Thanks this is very helpful, I will now add oil to my soapy water. Just curious, what is the fuction of the oil have in the mixture?
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mirafzalkhan »

There is a shielding wax coating which protects soft bodied insects. Without their wax protection, the insects dehydrate very quickly. The vegetable oil dissolve the wax coating easily after that soap water absorbs and actually interferes with the cell membranes of the insect so stopping the normal chemical reactions at cell level, which keep its body working. If you are using a vegetable based oil soap, there is no need of adding vegetable oil into the mix.
All these methods are in my personal use from last two years and I never use any commercial poisonous Pesticides on my plants. Check this link for hazards of chemical pesticides.
http://www.naturallandscapes.org/conten ... icideh.htm
Johara
Donor
Donor

Post by Johara »

Thanks again. One reads about home made organic pesticides but never sure if they really work. I am so glad to hear that you have been using them succesfully for the past two years. I will do the switch.
jimjack
City: fort lauderdale1

Post by jimjack »

great information about creating pesticide sprays at home to get rid of unwanted skadedyr (pests), I really enjoyed it. One more thing is Neem Oil as I have read about it that it is quite effective pesticide.
iskhan

Post by iskhan »

Insecticide
Sprinkle a very thin layer of Boric acid (available at medical stores) around plants. It will eliminate Cockroaches, Ants and Termites.
Sprinkle Boric acid over the soil or around the container or if ants all over the plants?
chickoo34
City: karachi

Post by chickoo34 »

two types ov dishwashing liquid in the market...for the soap spray can normal DW liquid could be used or the one with the anti-bacterial properties..(MAX anti-bacterial dishwashing liquid)
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

The dish washing fluid is just to help the concoction stick to the leaves it is not the organic pesticide in itself.
kashif
City: Kalatiiii
Gardening Interests: lite to glow my own vedetables and lot of phuloots
(or taa boloon)

Post by kashif »

What about Cornmeal ( http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Cornmeal_vq1372.htm ) to prevent soil borne disease, pls share your experiences

cheers
anie
City: rawalpindi

Post by anie »

mirafzalkhan wrote:There is a shielding wax coating which protects soft bodied insects. Without their wax protection, the insects dehydrate very quickly. The vegetable oil dissolve the wax coating easily after that soap water absorbs and actually interferes with the cell membranes of the insect so stopping the normal chemical reactions at cell level, which keep its body working. If you are using a vegetable based oil soap, there is no need of adding vegetable oil into the mix.
All these methods are in my personal use from last two years and I never use any commercial poisonous Pesticides on my plants. Check this link for hazards of chemical pesticides.
http://www.naturallandscapes.org/conten ... icideh.htm
i was just searching for pestscide spray on many websites, and i get this one. my tinda plant is affected by some sort of orange colour small insects which are sticking to lower surface of leaves. i am much worried about them. i am going to try soap water spray. let see what happen. if you know any other remedy let me know plz...

Return to “Pests and Diseases”