Help me with this

Moderator: Izhar

AlAmmar
City: Okara
Gardening Interests: Flowering shrubs and trees

Help me with this

Post by AlAmmar »

One of my friends moved abroad with his family and he had few plants, so I took couple of plants from him, and one of them is fishtail palm, to be fair its condition is quite beaten up and it has this bad looking disease, I don't know if it's fungal or some sort of droppings. So kind members help me out, I have cleaned it up with a tooth brush so far, and after 2 weeks it looks like it's coming back.

Here you can see light green stem after removing this white stuff.

Also which exactly species of Caryota genus it belongs too?

Sent from my C6602 using Tapatalk
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Help me with this

Post by M Farooq »

The fuzzy covering seems very natural to me; in the sense there are no insects/ fungus like appearance. Many palms have this fuzzy covering.

See this interesting article: Normal "Anormalities" in Palms; https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep344
AlAmmar
City: Okara
Gardening Interests: Flowering shrubs and trees

Re: Help me with this

Post by AlAmmar »

M Farooq wrote:The fuzzy covering seems very natural to me; in the sense there are no insects/ fungus like appearance. Many palms have this fuzzy covering.

See this interesting article: Normal "Anormalities" in Palms; https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep344
I see, damn I feel like idiot now haha
I shouldn't have removed it in panic I guess, but boy it is a nasty looking covering [emoji55], and it's coming back from bottom up, plant is looking Okay and healthy so far and it had a ant colony in pot which is taken care of. Thanks for the link, good read!

Sent from my C6602 using Tapatalk

Return to “Pests and Diseases”