Vine is dying

Moderator: Izhar

AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: Vine is dying

Post by AhmadIrfan »

I think you should start ground layering it's seems as if the base as already dried.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Okay that vine died last year from this problem. I tried again in fall, with seeds from different vendor. The problem is repeating itself this year too.

Seed sown in october, transplanted in soil bed in november. It grew rapidly to 3 feet. Same problem occurring again. The leaves getting brown crispy edges and then die. Vine is loosing leaves from bottom to top. I thought it is due to heat and less water so i am watering i a lot but that is not resolving the problem. It gets only 3 hours morning sun.Other plants in the same soil bed are doing fine.

Is it possible that this vine just cannot tolerate high heat? There is no pest and i sprayed with different insecticide as well but no success. There is new growth but not very fast.

And yes the trunk is single stem which is very dry and brown which means the roots have died? What can i do to save the plant? I tried ground layering but it failed.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I am just guessing/trouble shooting

Put it full shade.......As you said that new growth is there means roots are alive.

Extracts from a user of daves garden.
"On Sep 27, 2010, Mkoertje from Tracy, CA wrote:

Early last spring started seeds for about the 5th time in the last 10 years. Ended up with about 6 plants in peat pots. Transplanted 2 into large pots, the other two in very poorly cultivated clay soil. The two in the soil have grown by leaps and bounds next to a stone wall and covering the metal fencing above. Have one left in pot, it is not flowering but vining well. My problem is leaf damage in places all of the leaves turn papery white..i do get new shoots from the vines. Almost afraid to spray with anything that might harm the plant".

Some vines behave poorly if not provided support from the very start....are you supporting it?

The vine is said to grow in texas by daves garden. I think weather is still not that hot.

Wash the plant very thoroughly....to ward off chances of mites.

What is the depth of the container? can that be an issue.....
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

The vine is in soil bed not pot. Cannot change its place as it is in soil bed. It gets only few hours morning sun which should not be the problem. It is tied to a support and climbing through tendrils. It will die for sure in a few weeks so i am trying some cuttings.
Lahore gardening blog
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

Cobaea leaves back side
Cobaea leaves back side
Cobaea fresh pics
Attachments
P1040192.JPG
P1040194.JPG
Lahore gardening blog
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

BY soil bed do you mean raised bed???

I think shallow depth of the bed and if there is concrete underneath can be an issue...
It appears like leaf burn.....could it be that your wall gets hot as its concrete?

Why not try transplanting in pot and locate in shade?
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

It is soil bed. No concrete below it as i have dug it many times very deep and all soil. Wall does get hot but the vine does not touch the wall.

If i am sure that there is no disease/pest then i can risk transplanting in a pot in shade.
Lahore gardening blog
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

concrete wall does not only get very hot but also radiate too much heat well after the sun has gone down. I think your plant is suffering from heat rather direct sunlight.

What i would do is, transplant and dip the entire plant in water for few minutes. Starve the pest of oxygen if there is any(mites show similar damage on jasmine)
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

By entire plant i mean....all foliage except root-ball/pot in a tub

Return to “Pests and Diseases”