insect on my wisteria vine

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

insect on my wisteria vine

Post by khabbab »

What are these insects and how to get rid of them organically? Please don't tell me that they are the reason for non-flowering of my wisteria vine!!!! Should i prune the vine as it will not flower in this heat of may??
Attachments
insects-on-wisteria.jpg
insects-on-wisteria.jpg (131.23 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
insects-on-wisteria1.jpg
insects-on-wisteria1.jpg (140.66 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: insect on my wisteria vine

Post by Izhar »

They are Cicada, just wash them out.

From Wikipedia

Cicadas can cause damage to several cultivated crops, shrubs, and trees, mainly in the form of scarring left on tree branches while the females lay their eggs deep in branches.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Izhar wrote:They are Cicada, just wash them out.

From Wikipedia

Cicadas can cause damage to several cultivated crops, shrubs, and trees, mainly in the form of scarring left on tree branches while the females lay their eggs deep in branches.
But i see more than one types of insects there in both pictures. They are all Cicada?
Lahore gardening blog
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Ants, Cicada nymphs and adults..
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Ants feeding on Aphids.
Not flowering in Lahore? How old is the wisteria?I love this plant. mines bloom profusely.The blue blooms better than the white. they start blooming after 2 years. All of mine get full sun. For best result prune it in winter and not after blooming as recommended in books.

khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:Ants feeding on Aphids.
Not flowering in Lahore? How old is the wisteria?I love this plant. mines bloom profusely.The blue blooms better than the white. they start blooming after 2 years. All of mine get full sun. For best result prune it in winter and not after blooming as recommended in books.

It is around 3 years old. Planted in soil bed but trained on my terrace. Gets full sun. Prune it in October? Should i prune only current year's growth or previous year growth as well?
Lahore gardening blog
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

Khabbab, you like to grow your plants from seed.Is that the case with wisteria ? If so then you'll have to wait another 4-5 years to see it blooming.
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

tweedle2009 wrote:Khabbab, you like to grow your plants from seed.Is that the case with wisteria ? If so then you'll have to wait another 4-5 years to see it blooming.
Ha Ha Ha. I do like to grow from seed but not wisteria :D I am an impatient gardener. Always chooses those species which will flower first year from seed.

When i bought the vine, the second plant from same lot had flower buds but problem was, its roots were broken into soil so i discarded that one and chose this one. I did not prune it correctly last winter. The formula is to prune every stem till 3 leaf buds. Will try it this winter.
Lahore gardening blog
shahwon

Post by shahwon »

To rid of Insects, Neem Oil Spray and for Ants, just peel and Onion, cut in small slices place it 3 inches deep in the soil, away from the roots of the plant
Ants will disappear

B Shah
sara

Post by sara »

hmm where did you guys buy the vine from ?? since im a complete noob i didnt know it flowers 7 years + after planting seeds... i guess ill be waiting a long time since i just planted seeds 3 days ago !!!
Sara

Return to “Pests and Diseases”