Veltheimia

A Master Gardener from South Africa specializes in Bulbs

Moderator: Izhar

Heinie
City: Cape Town
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Veltheimia

Post by Heinie »

My Veltheimias are flowering now. For the members that do not know Veltheimia here are the differences.

The first two photos are Veltheimia capensis, they grow in full sun. There leaves are more grey/blue and narrower than Veltheimia bracteata.

The next 3 photos are from Veltheimia bracteata. Their leaves are softer, larger and green.

Regards
Heinie
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Veltheimia

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Beautiful very exotic!
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

You have a superb collection of Velthemia's. Though i knew about Velthemia Bracteata but wasn't aware of Capensis variety. Thank you for making us aware of these varieties.

I have seen Velthemia Bracteata in bloom at my friend's house and it prefers a shaded environment. Below is a picture of the Velthemia which tends to bloom around February in Lahore. This would imply that climate wise the month of February in Lahore would be equivalent to August in Cape Town.

It bears resemblance to a compact Aloe Vera or Kniphofia and can be grown indoors. According to my friend's recommendation water well during the growing season and hold off in summer when the plant becomes dormant. If the flower head is allowed to go to seed then the fresh ripe seed can be grown in early summer.

Have you tried sowing the seeds, if so please advise germination rate? Would you advise to grow them seed even though i presume it would take at least 3-4 years to achieve flowering if grown from seed.
Attachments
Velthemia Bracteata
Velthemia Bracteata
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Heinie, you have entered this Forum almost with a bang.What ever you have displayed so far is very high class,by our standard,reflective of good understanding, knowledge & experience in this field. You have a great collection of beautiful flowering plants,few of which are seen here. You also seem to have an extensive setup. I feel we have a lot to learn from you, notwithstanding difference in our climates/environments. Since you have not introduced yourself initially as per our tradition/practice, many-at least me,would be curious to know about some details of your garden & the range of your gardening activities. Hope no problem.
Looking forward!
Heinie
City: Cape Town
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Post by Heinie »

Mikhurram
Your friend knows the correct growing conditions for Veltheimia.

I have grown them from seed and they are easy to grow and flower in the 3rd year if well grown. The strike rate is very high. The yellow flower above is of one of my seedlings that is flowering for the first time. It is extremely difficult to hand pollinate these flowers but there is a trick that works quite well.

Put you thumb and fore finger together around the flower stem to form a circle. Slowly pull your hand up to lift the flowers to point upwards. Do this once every day from the bottom and pull your hand out the top of the flowers. In this motion the pollen falls onto the Stigma to pollinate the flower. If pollination was successfull a green pod that looks like a bag will start to grow. When the seeds are mature and ready to harvest the pod will dry out but here you must be very careful or else you will lose the seeds. When it turns brown and dry place a stocking over the pod because the dry pod will crack open and drop the seeds. In habitat the wind blows the light dry pods off the stem and blows it away whilst distributing the seeds along the way. Facinating how clever nature is. There are normally between one and ten seeds per pod.

Munir
I am sorry if you missed my introduction but I did introduce myself as per your tradition/practice and wrote what I grow. I neglegted to say that I am a pensioner. It is under the Introduction category. You can find it here at this link. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2577#p23356

I have only shown you the tip of the Iceberg photos so to speak of what grows in my garden. There are certainly many more surprises for you in the near future then.

Here is a lovely photo of sunset from my back porch just for you and two of my favourite flower the Cyrtanthus falcatus but other members may enjoy it too.

Regards
Heinie
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.

Post by Munir »

I am sorry if you missed my introduction but I did introduce myself as per your tradition/practice and wrote what I grow. I neglegted to say that I am a pensioner. It is under the Introduction category. You can find it here at this link. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2577#p23356

I have only shown you the tip of the Iceberg photos so to speak of what grows in my garden. There are certainly many more surprises for you in the near future then.

Here is a lovely photo of sunset from my back porch just for you and two of my favourite flower the Cyrtanthus falcatus but other members may enjoy it too.
Thank you Heinie for responding.You are right,I did miss your two liner-sorry for that & so since not earlier,now-a very warm welcome. It is nice to learn that you are a pensioner- so am I, probably the only other on this Forum being Mr.Arif- much my senior. But buddies,no retiring from gardening-hope we only fade away; you & Mr Arif at the pinnacle & me likely still trailing close to the base. Sorry if it seems a bit sombre.
Great to know that we should await unveiling of an Iceberg, but gradually in order to adequately fathom the beauty & bounty of nature... Looking forward for the surprises to come.
Liked the picture of Sunset from rear of your back porch; again a coincidence- the rear of my house is also due west,the sunset taking place behind a hillock.Sorry couldn't find a picture, shall post later.
Happy going...
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Sir thank you for the valuable information regarding the pollination trick. It's good to have experienced gardeners on the forum who can impart knowledge. Cyrtanthus falcatus is indeed beautiful. Looking forward to seeing other varieties of your plants in bloom. South Africa is a country blessed with highest number of wonderful indigenous bulbs rarely found elsewhere.
Last edited by mikhurram on August 20th, 2013, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Munir
Donor
Donor

Post by Munir »

Heinie wrote:
Munir

Thank you Heinie for responding.You are right,I did miss your two liner-sorry for that & so since not earlier,now-a very warm welcome. It is nice to learn that you are a pensioner- so am I, probably the only other on this Forum being Mr.Arif- much my senior. But buddies,no retiring from gardening-hope we only fade away; you & Mr Arif at the pinnacle & me likely still trailing close to the base. Sorry if it seems a bit sombre.

Great to know that we should await unveiling of an Iceberg, but gradually in order to adequately fathom the beauty & bounty of nature... Looking forward for the surprises to come.

Liked the picture of Sunset from rear of your back porch; again a coincidence- the rear of my house is also due west,the sunset taking place behind a hillock. Couldn't find a picture, shall post later.

Happy going...all.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Absolutely amazing!
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

You are operating at a scale above all bulbs lovers on this forum. Your climate helps also. Here in most parts of Pakistan the weather is tough for most bulbs, some say we have seven seasons in a year which is quite true. A deep understanding of a bulbs requirements is an absolute must to succeed in growing them. That requires time and patience, not always possible.

Return to “Heinie's Garden”