Clivia season

A Master Gardener from South Africa specializes in Bulbs

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Clivia season

Post by mikhurram »

As there is a 6 month difference between weather in Cape Town and Lahore so September in Cape Town would be equivalent to March in Pakistan. Hence we in Pakistan would need to keep an eye on this worm from February or March onwards.
Heinie
City: Cape Town
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Post by Heinie »

Mikhurram,

The Amaryllis worm is very active here during Spring and Summer therefore it means from September through to February. They are very happy to destroy the softer leaf plants like Clivia, Crinum, Agapanthus, Arum Lilies and Hippeastrum.

This is another worm we have to be on the lookout for here in the same warm months. The Hawk Moth also lay the eggs on the underside of the leaves at night and a tiny half millimeter worm grows to a 20mm thick worm in a matter of 2 to 3 days. They destroy a plant even faster than the Amaryllis worm. See the Arum Lily plant destroyed in two days by three worms. I squished the third one befor the photos.

Note the suckers under the feet to eat on the underside of the leaves while hanging upside down

Regards
Heinie
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Thank you for this useful and important information.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Here the Clivia will flower in March.i,l post some pictures when they bloom.i have two colors orange & red.
Hinnie i hope you enjoyed.

Return to “Heinie's Garden”