Boophone

A Master Gardener from South Africa specializes in Bulbs

Moderator: Izhar

Heinie
City: Cape Town
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Boophone

Post by Heinie »

I am not sure how familiar the members are with Boophone, also a plant from RSA. There are 3 species in this family namely Boophone disticha, Boophone haemanthoides and Boophone ernestii-ruschii. The Boophone ernestii-ruschii is extremely hard to find. I have all three species but my Boophone ernestii-ruschii is only about 5 years old so it has not flowered yet. The other two specie flowered earlier in the year. Here are a few photos when they flowered.

This is a Boophone disticha. Look at the detail of the flowers as you get closer.

This is a Boophone haemanthoides. This is a large bulb compared to my cellular phone.

Here we have two B disticha with seeds set and ready to be harvested and a Bhaemanthoides in the middle. Have a close look at the B disticha flower filament length when it is in flower. Now compare the length of the filament in the photo below when the seeds are mature and will see how it has extended. When the seeds are mature the scape braks off at the bulb side and the wind roll the dry flower head with seeds around the area and breaks the dry seed pods and so disperse of the seeds over a wide area. I nature not wonderfull.
Regards
Heinie
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Boophone

Post by KBW »

Marvelous. We don't see them here very often. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pics. I can see that you like to play with your camera. Please keep them coming. :)
Regards
Heinie
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Post by Heinie »

KBW,
Thank you.
I participate in a few other forums too and I like to illustrate with my written piece. You may have noticed that I love to write too and share experience and knowledge with other people. I will tell you about one of my many experiments with a Clivia growing in a tree soon. Yes you read it correctly and it is starting to flower now.
Regards
Heinie
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... hone#p4877

Dr. AYKhan tried it the bulb did not survive.

My substitute,

Some people import exotic bulbs / plants many of us buy them and then repent.
Heinie

Post by Heinie »

Muhammad,

Boophone wants a very free draining growing medium, coarse sand if possible, very little water and completely dry in the dormant season. Full sun is very important to initiate flowers.

Is that a Scadoxus pole-evansiae?
Regards
Heinie
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

This is Scadoxus multiflorus. It is a native of Africa but commonly available in PAK.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Right you are, perfect for my climate,

The foliage is also pretty.
Arif
Heinie

Post by Heinie »

I have almost all the Scadoxus specie. I have flowering size bulbs of Scadoxus membranaceus, S multiflorus , S multiflorus ssp. katharinae, S multiflorus ssp. multiflorus, S pole-evansii, S puniceus, S puniceus 'Magnificus' and seedlings of Scadoxus nutans and Scadoxus cyrtanthiflorus. I just need one more which is Scadoxus cinnabarinus.

This is one of those bulbs that is beautiful in all aspects of its growing season. Very nice leaves, flower as well as beautiful with its red seeds.

Here is my Scadoxus multiflorus about 2 months ago.
Regards
Heinie
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Yes mine rotted. Probably due to inexperience. It's tough in the monsoons here to keep things dry. One needs to be focused, not always easy with demanding plants in our climate.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

I have almost all the Scadoxus specie. I have flowering size bulbs of Scadoxus membranaceus, S multiflorus , S multiflorus ssp. katharinae, S multiflorus ssp. multiflorus, S pole-evansii, S puniceus, S puniceus 'Magnificus' and seedlings of Scadoxus nutans and Scadoxus cyrtanthiflorus. I just need one more which is Scadoxus cinnabarinus. (Heinie)
Pictures from your files please.
Arif

Return to “Heinie's Garden”