Re: Ismene Sulphur Queen

Post by rafique »

Beautiful and attractive.
Rafique
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Hamad,how about including it in our Group Purchase list, if available with any of the vendors ?
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

I've been growling sulphur queen since last year. I am hoping it flowers now. Seems to be doing well and barely went dormant in winter.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

aykhan wrote:I've been growling sulphur queen since last year. I am hoping it flowers now. Seems to be doing well and barely went dormant in winter.
Can i cut all the leaves of sulphur queen in December like i do for amaryllis as they also stay ever green in our climate?? or should i wait for it to go dormant ? is dormancy important for flowering in ismene species ?
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

I really can't answer that accurately since its just my first year growing it. However, that might be possible since in winter the leaves went quite loopy and I think if I just tugged at them they would come off. If you have more than one you can try. I had two and now see two pups before the flower so I might try this in the coming winter.
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

I currently have three bulbs..Will experiment on one of them.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

Munir wrote:Hamad,how about including it in our Group Purchase list, if available with any of the vendors ?
Munir sb they will be available in December

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Heinie
City: Cape Town
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Post by Heinie »

Tahir,
My Ismene bulbs are dormant now. I am sure they need a dormant period so my suggestion would be to cut the stem 25mm above ground and withhold water for about 3 months and place it in a dark under cover position.

I cut the stems as soon as the leaves start drooping and the leaves start turning yellow. I found if I leave it for later the leaves and stem start going mushy and I am careful for fungus then that could develop down to the bulb. They make new roots every season.
Regards
Heinie
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

Heinie wrote:Tahir,
My Ismene bulbs are dormant now. I am sure they need a dormant period so my suggestion would be to cut the stem 25mm above ground and withhold water for about 3 months and place it in a dark under cover position.

I cut the stems as soon as the leaves start drooping and the leaves start turning yellow. I found if I leave it for later the leaves and stem start going mushy and I am careful for fungus then that could develop down to the bulb. They make new roots every season.
Can the bulbs be taken out of the pot or should i leave them in there and place the pot in a shady location ?
Heinie
City: Cape Town
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Post by Heinie »

I always leave my bulbs in their pots to store away. My reason for that is that a number of bulbs do not like to be disturbed especially those that keep their roots. Many bulbs do not flower the season after they were disturbed. The important thing is to keep them dry or very little water.
Regards
Heinie

Return to “Heinie's Garden”