Amaryllis Belladonna

A Master Gardener from South Africa specializes in Bulbs

Moderator: Izhar

Heinie
City: Cape Town
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Amaryllis Belladonna

Post by Heinie »

I just bumped into these photos taken of a clump of mixed colours of Amaryllis Belladonna when it flowered in March this year. In a previous post someone mentioned that he did not know of the flowers dominant with white. I have a bulb that flowers completely white but they are extremely hard to find. I plant a few seeds of a white variation last year that I got from a friend that gave me the white flowering bulb. I will try to find the photo. I think I counted 7 flower stems in this clump. I have another large clump to the right of this one that produced 14 stems this year. There must be abour 30 bulbs in that clump. They multiply very fast.

Regards
Heinie
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Re: Amaryllis Belladonna

Post by Munir »

Heinie, you were so right to say that there would be many surprises to come; they are continuing to flow. Thanks
I was just trying to revert to your previous/last post of an even more beautiful & majestic flower, but it seems to have disappeared.Don't remember the name. Could you trace it out or repost.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Thanks i was the one who told you that have not seen high % white Belladonna.Belladonna is so beautiful.i have grown it in past but the pure pink ones.
Heinie
City: Cape Town
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Post by Heinie »

Munir,

I think this is the category I showed the one parent of the Amarine. Click on the link below and just scroll down a little. I will try and find the photo of the pure white flower.

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=2622#p23725

Here are two more photos of different bulbs with diiferent colouring but also some white in it. Look at the wider petals and darker pink of the second photo.

Regards
Heinie
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Gorgeous. The problem with belladonna lily in my city is that it does not go dormant in winter. Instead it goes dormant in our hot summers and then sprout back in fall with foliage only. Then in winter and spring it keeps growing leaves. This is second consecutive year that belladona has gone dormant in summer and not in winter. This is happening with few other members of the forum as well. Does it need severe winter to go dormant? Or it is still adjusting its life cycle yet?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Khabbab Belladonna is only suitable in our hilly areas.At Abbotabad i have grown it for so many years but the pink one.The white i am seeing it for the first time.

Return to “Heinie's Garden”