Clivia season

A Master Gardener from South Africa specializes in Bulbs

Moderator: Izhar

Heinie
City: Cape Town
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Clivia season

Post by Heinie »

Our Clivias are starting to flower now.

This one has 51 flowers

Regards
Heinie
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Clivia season

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Fantastic Hinnie.We have only the open flowered red & orange colors.Hinnie mine flower for me every year.i have planted this bulb under trees & do not disturb.What should i feed the bulbs.will liquid fertlizer work well. Do you grow Amaryllis Hippeastrum hybrids.I love the doubles.i have Royal Dutch & S.African doubles.Clivia,Crinum,Spider lilily & Hippeastrum are my favorite bulbs.They are beautiful & very promissing in our climate.
Heinie
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Post by Heinie »

Umarkhanmardan,
Clivias do well in shaded areas and they like to grow in large clumps. Liquis fertilizer is perfect. Feed them with a fertilizer that has a high Potassium content. The K in NPK. You can use the same for your bulbs too. I grow a number of Hippeastrum specie as well as hybrids. I posted some in another topic on this forum. I have a few doubles too. You must try and find the post where I placed photos of my hippis and there are some doubles I have. You must show me some of your Clivia photos please.
Regards
Heinie
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

I,L post when they flower.Normally they flower in late spring.I think think it may be late spring in S.Africa. Last year i got some Hadeco Amaryllis.They have great collection of doubles.My Alfresco is multiplying very fast.One thing i have noted in South African Amaryllis is the small bulb size & large flower size.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Anther question i have tried Calla lilies so many time.I don,t know where they lost every year.They flower in the first year.Then i see foliage only in the second summer.then after some years the plant disappear.Is it because of the freezing temps in winter.
Heinie

Post by Heinie »

Umarkhanmardan,
Here is the link to where I posted some Hippeastrum I grow.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=628#p23476

I also grow some Callas. Frost will damage the bulbs. It is best to lift them then when they go dormant and plant again when you notice them sprouting. These bulbs need heavy feeding of high Potassium whilst in active growth until the leaves drop.

Here are some of my Callas. I will post more photos tomorrow when I find them.

Regards
Heinie
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Hinnie this Calla looks like Picottee Cobra.Its very fantastic & the coloration is just like Amaryllis picotte.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Exuberant. Each is better than other.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Mr. Heinie some information about Clivia assassins from SA Garden issue. I wasn't aware that Amaryllis, Crinums, Cyranthus might also be susceptible to these pests as i never encountered these pests in my Amaryllis.
Attachments
cliviaassassins.jpg
Heinie

Post by Heinie »

The Amaryllis worm is the number one destroyer of any plant from the Amaryllidaceae family. They get into the top and bottom skins of the plant and eat very fast towards the crown of the plant. Once they get into the crown the plant had it and you can throw it away. When you see them early you can squash them in the leaf between your thumb and forefinger. The eggs are laid on the underside of the leaf. The egg is small light green and looks like a small droplet.
Regards
Heinie

Return to “Heinie's Garden”