Geissorhiza monanthos

A Master Gardener from South Africa specializes in Bulbs

Moderator: Izhar

Heinie
City: Cape Town
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Geissorhiza monanthos

Post by Heinie »

Geissorhiza monanthos flowering earlier this year

Regards
Heinie
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Geissorhiza monanthos

Post by mikhurram »

Seem to be very similar to Geissorhiza Splendissima. Sir, after flowering do you place the Geissoriza bulbs in a storage area or let them remain in the pots ?
Heinie
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Post by Heinie »

I leave them in the pots and place them in a dry area with no watering until next season.
Regards
Heinie
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Sir it would be lovely to have a complete showcase of your Garden especially as spring is approaching. Can we landscape with bulbs?? Is it economical?? So to say if one is starting a new garden
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

and more importantly can most of them be left in situ?
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Sir are you using the same media for them as recommended for other bulbs which is 60 percent sand, 30 percent grit and compost 10 percent ? Would you recommend spreading a tablespoon of superphosphate at the base of the pot when planting a fresh bulb or using a slow release fertilizer?
Last edited by mikhurram on August 29th, 2013, 11:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Heinie

Post by Heinie »

Landscaping with bulbs is not really possible because of all the different growing seasons when bulbs that should be dry will get rain and other way roumd. That is a major reason why my bulbs are in pots and the Clivias and Daylilies in the garden. Some pot are on the ground and the smaller pots are kept on stands like in the photos below. The contents on the stands change all the time. I have 4 of these stands and each stand takes between 120 and 160 pots depending on the size of the pot.

Regards
Heinie
Heinie

Post by Heinie »

I use the same growing medium for all my bulbs because it is easier to control the watering cycles with the same medium throughout. For bigger pots I add some bark in the mix too because I have to fetch grit in the river about 50kms from my home. I sift the riversand in the river to sort the grit size I want.

I use steam Sterilized Bonemeal instead of Superphosphate that I mix into the growing medium before it is placed in the pot. It is a really slow release phosphate.

I used a Controlled Release Fertilizer for about 3 years but I could not see any better results with this expensive product so I went back to liquid fertilizer.
Regards
Heinie
accoure
City: New York
Gardening Interests: Cooking

arimidex vs tamoxifen weight gain

Post by accoure »

Effect of SPP depletion on various infiltrates in corneas and TG of infected mice on day 5 p <a href=https://nolvadex.one/>reviews for best place to buy nolvadex</a> Prior to Genzyme, Dr
Acuseld
City: New York
Gardening Interests: Cooking

accutane lifetime dose

Post by Acuseld »

The hypercalcemia is typically reversible, although lithium independent HPT may develop after prolonged treatment <a href=http://accutane.buzz>30 mg accutane from canada online</a> Many of these approaches are readily amenable to miniaturization and inclusion in automated design cycles 64

Return to “Heinie's Garden”