Hippeastrum and Ixora

Our young amateur gardener shares his container garden

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Hippeastrum and Ixora

Post by mikhurram »

My ixora's are thriving in ordinary alkaline soil and i have never applied any fertlizer or attempted to make the soil acidic. They can be seen at the bottom of the link in pink and orange colour.
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=2566

However i would reccommend applying used coffee grounds which are throw away by coffee speciality shops. They can be obtained for free as these shops tend to dump them. The other benefit of using these used coffee grounds is that they tend to deter pests from attacking the plant.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Ixoras tend to grow very easily in Karachi without showing any sign of cholorosis, but in pots is a different story... they manure we use has pH of 8.. ferous sulfate can be used to overcome the cholorosis..
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Apart from Ferrous Sulphate, foliar spray of Vitax Seaweed Extract with sequestered Iron is another solution. The main distributor of Vitax is based in Karachi and presumably it ought to be easily available in Karachi.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

mikhurram wrote:Apart from Ferrous Sulphate, foliar spray of Vitax Seaweed Extract with sequestered Iron is another solution. The main distributor of Vitax is based in Karachi and presumably it ought to be easily available in Karachi.
Vitax seaweeds. What is it? a company or some distributor? Where is it available(at gardening shop or widely available)?
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Vitax is a UK based company which makes gardening products. The seaweed sequestered iron is a liquid fertliser.
http://www.vitax.co.uk/home-garden/vita ... ered-iron/

The reason i mentioned Karachi was that i once bought this tonic from Chanan Din Seed shop based in Lahore whose proprietor told me that the main distributor/importer of Vitax products is based in Karachi. However i should mention that this would be a more expensive solution compared to using Ferrous Sulphate advised by Izhar. Both can work. For chronic symptoms of cholorosis Ferrous Sulphate is mostly advised. For a milder case Seaweed Sequestered Iron can be used. Izhar's solution would be more economical with quick results.
Mustansir Billah

mikhurram wrote:Vitax is a UK based company which makes gardening products. The seaweed sequestered iron is a liquid fertliser.
http://www.vitax.co.uk/home-garden/vita ... ered-iron/

The reason i mentioned Karachi was that i once bought this tonic from Chanan Din Seed shop based in Lahore whose proprietor told me that the main distributor/importer of Vitax products is based in Karachi. However i should mention that this would be a more expensive solution compared to using Ferrous Sulphate advised by Izhar. Both can work. For chronic symptoms of cholorosis Ferrous Sulphate is mostly advised. For a milder case Seaweed Sequestered Iron can be used. Izhar's solution would be more economical with quick results.
Hmm. JazakAllah. If ferrous sulphate is economical then I will go for that.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Vitax shop is at sunset boulevard DHA in the line of Bobby furniture...

Ferrous sulfate is Rs.35-40/kg and one tablespoon in 3-4 liters every week is enough for ixora till the cholorosis is gone.. then resume to normal watering.. use this solution on the first sign of leaf yellowing..

Mustansir, dont give fertilizers to your ixora till March.. by March first week remove 1-2 inches top soil from pot.. sprinkle some DAP granules and put plain Balu matti as top dressing... after a week of doing this prune the plant to 3/4 of actual size...
Mustansir Billah

Izhar wrote:Vitax shop is at sunset boulevard DHA in the line of Bobby furniture...

Ferrous sulfate is Rs.35-40/kg and one tablespoon in 3-4 liters every week is enough for ixora till the cholorosis is gone.. then resume to normal watering.. use this solution on the first sign of leaf yellowing..

Mustansir, dont give fertilizers to your ixora till March.. by March first week remove 1-2 inches top soil from pot.. sprinkle some DAP granules and put plain Balu matti as top dressing... after a week of doing this prune the plant to 3/4 of actual size...
JazakAllah Izhar sb.
Mustansir Billah

No blooms but an update of Hippeastrum seedlings:-

Return to “Mustansir's Container Garden”