Spring 2014

Our young amateur gardener shares his container garden

Moderator: Izhar

Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: Spring 2014

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Izhar wrote:Great sharing Mustansir, just keep in mind if you give them very diluted fertilizer with every watering then you can have healthy plants entire season...
Izhar bhai already doing as told. It really helped specially Gazania to develop fast.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Impressive effort. I am surprised to see Chrysanthemums blooming at this time of the year. The dahlias look majestic. Alas if i could only figure out a way to save their tubers something which has really tested me for many years. In western countries like U.K. & Holland the growers place the tubers in silver-sand or newspaper wrappings at the onset of the cold spell. Here in Pakistan the main hindrance is our weather especially the humidity/moisture during the monsoon seasons. Even the dahlia tubers are placed in silver-sand or stored in an open crate inside a well ventilated room tend to shrink. Nurseries here in the cities send their leftover tubers to Murree around May where they are saved easily. The best way to ensure stock of Dahlia is to take multiple cuttings. The Dutch masters take upto 40 cuttings from a tuber.
Mustansir Billah

mikhurram wrote:Impressive effort. I am surprised to see Chrysanthemums blooming at this time of the year. The dahlias look majestic. Alas if i could only figure out a way to save their tubers something which has really tested me for many years. In western countries like U.K. & Holland the growers place the tubers in silver-sand or newspaper wrappings at the onset of the cold spell. Here in Pakistan the main hindrance is our weather especially the humidity/moisture during the monsoon seasons. Even the dahlia tubers are placed in silver-sand or stored in an open crate inside a well ventilated room tend to shrink. Nurseries here in the cities send their leftover tubers to Murree around May where they are saved easily. The best way to ensure stock of Dahlia is to take multiple cuttings. The Dutch masters take upto 40 cuttings from a tuber.
The nursery man was saying to bury in Bhalo mitti and plant it again in August-September but from you and others I have listened that they wont survive so, then Cutting is the best option. :)
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Mustansir this an old favorite.You never know what will be the exact shade of the next Dahlia. One of very successful variety along orange Dahlia.What i like about these two that the flowers are fully facing upward & not dropping.
Mustansir Billah

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Mustansir this an old favorite.You never know what will be the exact shade of the next Dahlia. One of very successful variety along orange Dahlia.What i like about these two that the flowers are fully facing upward & not dropping.
Umar sb. these are the two different colored flowers of same Dahlia.
whitetiger297
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Ornamental , flowering ,fruits and vegetable plants

Post by whitetiger297 »

Beautiful !!
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Mustansir i know these are two different colors on the same plant & its an old variety. I have grown it so many times in past. Some blooms will be fully red, Some will be red & white. Some will be half red & white half completely red. Some times the red & white comes in the center & red on the sides.Its a very common too.
I don,t grow Dahlias any more.
Mustansir Billah

JazakAllah Umar sb. I thought that it is an amazing find and Why do you not grow Dahlias?
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Not fit for our climate my dear.
Mustansir Billah

Blooms:-
Gaillardia Goblin. At last it bloomed!
Gazanias:-
Dahlia:-
Marigold. Single-flowered marigold. At first bloom I thought maybe its abnormal but all the plants from same packet of seeds gave single-flowered Marigolds.
Chrysanthemums:-
Cosmos:-
Sunflower:-

Return to “Mustansir's Container Garden”