Patio logbook

Moderator: Izhar

Shazia Khurram
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Patio garden? Landscaping, beginner and willing to learn all that I can.

Patio logbook

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Hello to all the members. I'm staring on a little garden project and thought to share my journey with you. I would also appreciate if you can answer my queries along the way as I'm a newbie to gardening. Have developed a green thumb very recently :) There's a space at the bottom of the garden covered with orange and grapefruit trees. The trees are overgrown and clustered together from years of neglect ( as the homeowners were away in UK) The branches have grown so dense that the fruit does not receive direct sunlight thus resulting in poor citrus quality. There's also a mango tree which hasn't bore fruit in years. I have decided to make a little patio in that area and cutting down 2 of the citrus trees to make some way for sunlight. I'll be sharing all my experiences, the good and hopefully not many bad days (fingers crossed) All you seasoned gardeners feel free to rectify me and please guide me when I'm wrong. Is it ok if I prune some branches of the existing citrus trees? Will it effect next year's bounty? The gardener told me to put some choona at the base of mango tree which I have. I hope that helps.
Dear Admin. I couldn't figure out where to put my post. Please remove it if it's under the wrong subcategory. So, here is how the place looks like now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shazia Khurram
Gardening Interests: Patio garden? Landscaping, beginner and willing to learn all that I can.

Re: Patio logbook

Post by Shazia Khurram »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429371776.649076.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429371753.110189.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429371720.272982.jpg

Shazia Khurram

Post by Shazia Khurram »

I'll also be giving a makeover to this loooong old flower bed .
Before
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429372046.558494.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429372046.558494.jpg (109.17 KiB) Viewed 6938 times
Inspiration
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429371984.404545.jpg

Shazia Khurram

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Sorry the before and inspiration pics got mixed up. This flowered is quite long, I couldn't capture the entire length. I was think of etching three semi circles like the inspirational pic and then plant in it right now it's full of lilies (that hasn't flowered) and some motia

Shazia Khurram

Post by Shazia Khurram »

I have decided to use tough tiles as flooring medium instead of plain bricks even though the mistri is insistent on bricks. The bricks will show wear and tear quite early + I don't like the mossy green substance that show in between bricks after a wet season. I had my heart set on concrete pavers that they're using on upcoming food street in Pindi but at Rs.110 per foot they're out of my budget. Here's how they look like.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429374202.015456.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429374186.948581.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429374168.379884.jpg
Aaah! So beautiful and out of my range. I calculated the cost which came about Rs.85000 just for the paving alone :(
So I have still to decide the flooring medium. I'll go see some samples tomorrow inshallah.

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Welcome, where there is will there is a way.
You can remove some citrus trees if too close. due to climatic conditions do not expect any fruit from Mango tree. Remember the feeding roots of all trees are at the circumference of the foliage and up to 10 feet beyond, so feed/treat accordingly.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

Have you thought about strategically mixing and matching differant materials. Like maybe using the expensive hardwearing tiles 2ft wide strips in the area of heavy use and economical ones in contrasting colours/textures at the sides. Even squares or other designs incorporating textures colors etc. A wide border of thin bricks herring bone style as used in mughal walkways looks stunning against black or grey paviours. I have also seen elaborate designs made from river pebbles used as a focal point. I wil dig out some pictures for you
Shazia Khurram

Post by Shazia Khurram »

@M Arif Khan: thank you for the tip sir, I will definitely feed/treat the tree as you instructed.

@ newton: those are some brilliant ideas. Some are exactly what I had in mind like lying down the bricks herring bone style, and gathering some pebbles from the stream when I next go to bani gaala. I wanted to use these as edge fillers. I contacted the guy whose selling those expensive tiles in the pics above. He said he doesn't take orders starting less than Rs.10000and then he will charge Rs 5000 for delivery from texila to Rwp :(
Shazia Khurram

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Day 1: It rained lightly in intervals throughout the day but we still covered a lot of ground. One grapefruit and one orange tree has been uprooted (feel kinda guilty) but this had to be done for the good of the rest of the trees. They will level and sort out the water drainage tomorrow inshallah.
The flower bed has also been demolished successfully.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429459409.986129.jpg
Shazia Khurram

Post by Shazia Khurram »

The area has been cleared for some serious work tomorrow
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429459690.752585.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429459606.085977.jpg
Someone
has been very curious about the whole process :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429459580.502628.jpg

Return to “Shazia Khurram's garden”