My worm farm (for Earth Worm Castings)

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: My worm farm (for Earth Worm Castings)

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

newton wrote:One word of caution though is to avoid having too many in your lawn as the casts when left on the grass are ideal places for new weed seedlings to develop.

One way to deal with them there is to brush them off so all the soil gets spres inbetween the grass
Mowing your lawn high and at least once a week is the answer.
RedEyeJedi
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Intend to grow organic vegetables for personal consumption.

Post by RedEyeJedi »

Haha.. No, that'll kill the worm. Thought as much myself till i did a Googles.

I'll keep a look out worms in the garden if it ever rains in Karachi. Those castings you have in the pic would be great to throw into the worm bin too. Im prepping these for a pot soil mix and maybe teas.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

[quote="RedEyeJedi"]Haha.. No, that'll kill the worm. Thought as much myself till i did a Googles.

I'll keep a look out worms in the garden if it ever rains in Karachi. Those castings you have in the pic would be great to throw into the worm bin too. Im prepping these for a pot soil mix and maybe teas.[/quote]

We are talking about two different kind of worms, Yours remain above the soil and mine, sons of the soil under it.
Arif
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Where did you find the RED WIGGLERS?
RedEyeJedi
Gardening Interests: Intend to grow organic vegetables for personal consumption.

Post by RedEyeJedi »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote: We are talking about two different kind of worms, Yours remain above the soil and mine, sons of the soil under it.
Arif
Even those would die, but we digress. I got the red wigglers through a gardner under employ. Gave him 300Rs and set him loose. Showed up a week later with almost two handfuls of worm he'd gotten off a couple of nurseries. I had a feeling he'd come back with the regular (useless to me) brown ones, but was pleased to see red wigglers.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Good luck and happy gardening, Will ask for an up date next Ramzan.
RedEyeJedi

Post by RedEyeJedi »

Thank you MAK. I'll be harvesting these much sooner than that hopefully. Not letting these go for more than 6 months. You can ask me about my compost pits though :))
RedEyeJedi

Post by RedEyeJedi »

22 days in the bin and things are looking pretty good. Added 100 (or so) more worms two days ago. Have stopped their food for the next 15 days as there's still some food and lots of news paper in there they need to finish (Added too much).
20140723_173437.jpg
Sign of things being good inside the bin, the fact that 6-7 inch tomato sprouts have grown from tomato seeds that i put in with the kitchen scraps, lol. Plucked them out of the dirt and left them in the bin for the worms to eat. There is no bad smell from the materials, which is also a very good sign. Another good sign is there's plenty of other life, like small bugs (not ants) and other worms (not centipedes, those kill worms).
20140723_173442.jpg
The one downside to the whole thing is that I'm getting very impatient, :mrgreen:
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

The one downside to the whole thing is that I'm getting very impatient, :mrgreen:
Gardening teaches patience, you will learn to be patient.
RedEyeJedi

Post by RedEyeJedi »

Hope I learn fast, else I fear what will happen once I start my compost bins.

Return to “General Discussion”