Hello from an aquatic gardener. Pic Heavy

Moderator: Izhar

jingoist
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Aquatic and Vegetable Plants

Re: Hello from an aquatic gardener. Pic Heavy

Post by jingoist »

Hi,

I have initiated a separate thread. Let's discuss the aquatic setup there :)

http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... =53&t=3391
murtaza9352
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Aquatic plants

Post by murtaza9352 »

@Khirmun: Sir i have been experimenting on plants like crypts, amazon sword, cobamba but have not yet accomplished. I have currently installed 3 Phillips Lifemax Cool Daylight(18W *3=54W) in my 40 gallon tank. I have used normal sand ( "bajri" as called in urdu) that is used normally in construction. I have also placed a plant that i planted in silica that shows a far better growth than that planted in the bajri. My cobamba are losing their brightness and they are shedding leaves.
Also to add here, i have placed my tank near window to get sunlight that i think is the reason why my plants are melting.
Can u plz guide me how to improve my setup with ur experise??
Waiting to acknowledge ur kind advice
murtaza9352

Post by murtaza9352 »

@Khirmun: Sir i have been experimenting on plants like crypts, amazon sword, cobamba but have not yet accomplished. I have currently installed 3 Phillips Lifemax Cool Daylight(18W *3=54W) in my 40 gallon tank. I have used normal sand ( "bajri" as called in urdu) that is used normally in construction. I have also placed a plant that i planted in silica that shows a far better growth than that planted in the bajri. My cobamba are losing their brightness and they are shedding leaves.
Also to add here, i have placed my tank near window to get sunlight that i think is the reason why my plants are melting.
Can u plz guide me how to improve my setup with ur expertise??
Waiting to acknowledge ur kind advice...
murtaza9352

Post by murtaza9352 »

Here are some pictures... :)
Attachments
IMG_20140211_083240-1.jpg
IMG_20140211_083247-1.jpg
IMG_20140211_083230-1.jpg
murtaza9352

Post by murtaza9352 »

Crypts planted in bajri..
Attachments
IMG_20140211_083303-1.jpg
IMG_20140211_083255-1.jpg
Khirmun
Gardening Interests: Aquatic gardening.

Post by Khirmun »

Murtaza sir I'd ask you to read this thread. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... albot.html
What are you doing with lighting the tank is just wrong. First I believe the cfls are all pigtail type? If thats the case half of their light has already been diffused back and forth and not used. The best thing to light a 40 gallon is by buying Philips 36Watt PLs. http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs- ... 40-Philips
You need atleast 2wpg. Read the substrate thread and make your own planted tank substrate. Bujri/raiti can't provide your plants and any nutrients and if there are no nutrients the plants cant grow.
murtaza9352

Post by murtaza9352 »

I am preparing my substrate but i need to know more about the lights. I am currently using Phillips 18" tube lights. Isn't it the right choice? Also i have a tray filter attached with my power head filter that cleans the water without disturbing the tank and without producing any currents.
rabia
City: gujranwala
Gardening Interests: Flowering bulbs,Succulents and Cacti,Kitchen gardening,Seasonal flowers ...etc

Post by rabia »

Extraordinary, really impressive :-)
M-YC
Gardening Interests: Aquarium fishes & Aquatic plants

Post by M-YC »

Must say some of those setups are really impressive. Have you ever tried any local species like from lakes and rivers? I have been curious to know this for sometime if there are any aquarium friendly plant species in nature specifically around sindh. I am very new to this hobby and there is too much to know. started with my 1st 15 gallon planted tank 2 weeks back and so far the plants are doing well. These days I am researching for the ultimate DIY high nutrient substrate. Would you like to share your knowledge and experience around this area.
M-YC
Gardening Interests: Aquarium fishes & Aquatic plants

Post by M-YC »

Where to get a variety here in KHI? Most of the retailers I know are a rip offs.

Return to “General Discussion”