Mulch

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Mulch

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Do you use mulch in your Garden?
On my last year USA visit I saw extensive use of mulch all over, in private gardens and public parks.
It was mostly shredded wood in different colours. Here in Pakistan I have yet to see a gardener using it. I have not seen it in any picture of gardens in this forum.
one would think it is most needed in our hot dry climate, so why don't we use it? ;)
Arif
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Re: Mulch

Post by Syed Adnan »

Using mulch is good idea, however , they may consume soil nutrients to decompose themselves . A continues addition of fertilizer is necessary while using organic mulch. A decomposed one is better to be used.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

One of its function as I understand is stopping growth of weeds, will it also stop growth of Murk/Deela grass, would wheat straw (toori) be an effective mulch? What would be the drawbacks?
Arif
hnasir
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Orchids
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Post by hnasir »

Arif sb I have big neem, imli and lignum trees around, and they continously shed leaves.. I just use collect them, put em in my beds at about 3 inches thick and water heavily so that they settle. No weeds at all, and less watering! I'll take a picture for you
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Leaves are best if you can get enough.

Return to “General Discussion”