Would you use worm castings?

Moderator: Izhar

RedEyeJedi
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Intend to grow organic vegetables for personal consumption.

Re: Would you use worm castings?

Post by RedEyeJedi »

Izhar wrote:Tilling doesnt kill worms... not at all..!! i have lots of them in my rose bed and it is tilled regularly...

I like using worms to convert the unripe manure (which can take 2-3 months to fully decompose) to a very soil/plant friendly amendment..
Wow, okay... I assumed going to ground with a hoe would really hurt the worm population in the soil... noted.

Already working on incorporating manure into my worm bins. Going to be using aged variety though. Don't wanna heat the bins up too much given the amount of poo I'm putting in.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

You do not want worms in the pot, not becouse there will be no space left for the roots :lol: But because their tunnels lets the water run through without moistening the soil. ;) You can get rid of worms from pots by a weak solution of Potassium Permanganate.
RedEyeJedi
Gardening Interests: Intend to grow organic vegetables for personal consumption.

Post by RedEyeJedi »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:You do not want worms in the pot, not becouse there will be no space left for the roots :lol: But because their tunnels lets the water run through without moistening the soil. ;) You can get rid of worms from pots by a weak solution of Potassium Permanganate.
I thought given the constrained space, worms would burrow through the roots and damage them (What i meant to say originally).

If i ever do get them in my pots though (unlikely in my setup) i'd use your trick and chuck whatever comes out into my worm bins :mrgreen:
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Soil of Lahore is different from Karachi's soil.. I actually prefer worms in my pots.. they aerate the soil and quickly turn the dead vegetation into nutrients..
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

by Izhar » March 16th, 2015, 11:10 am
I actually prefer worms in my pots..
Never ever in pots !!!
Earthworms are beneficial for soil beds but are a real nuisance in pots. They can create havoc in a pot by stunting growth by effecting the root systems of young plants as the worms tend to dig deep close to the roots. I would have them in a soil bed but not in pots.

Why are we making our lives complicating by focusing on worm castings? Focus on the soil and let the nature take it's own course. You will automatically find a thriving worms population in your soil bed.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Imran sb. Karachi's soil is very different.. the soil of Punjab is so good for growing plants.. the plant tend to grow excellently for 8-9 months in pots but in Karachi's soil they start deteriorating within 4 months..

Karachi's soil is very good for rooting as it drains well and doesnt compact.. on the other hand it has lots of sodium salts in it..

The only place i dont like worm in my garden is grass area as the worm castings look ugly every morning..

Keeping worms for making wormcastings is an enjoyable thing for me and I do look forward to make a wormbin..
usasidd
City: lahore
Gardening Interests: growing vegetables

Post by usasidd »

can u tell me where i get red worms for composting, i live in lahore...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

RedEyeJedi wrote:As the title says, would any of you use worm castings if they were available in the market?

Some info on the benefits of using Worm Castings and what they are:

Worm Castings - What are they? How do they work?
http://www.tastefulgarden.com/store/pc/ ... s-d114.htm

5 Benefits of Earthworm Castings
http://sdhydroponics.com/resources/arti ... m-castings

NOT I.

Return to “General Discussion”