Pot size

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Pot size

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Same plants of same size in four different volume pots having same soil, will get same husbandry.
An experiment to see the relation ship.
Arif
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Pot size

Post by Izhar »

Best of luck...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Izhar wrote:Best of luck...
for what?
It appears nobody is interested in this discussion.
The bigger the better is the notion, but is it so?
come on wake up.
MOHAN SINGH
City: LUDHIANA
Gardening Interests: Novice gardener trying annuals on my new terrace container garden.

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

not an expert like you.. but with the two cents of knowledge i have gathered till date.. bigger the pot better the plant or bloom does nt stand true.. reason being the requirement of the plant to spread its root should be the guiding principle.. if that was fundamentally true we would not have hanging baskets poked with many plants and comparatively less soil for the roots of 4-5 plants.. so the space necessarily does not settle it.. i guess it should be the requirement of the plant which should be the guiding principle..
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Best of luck for getting results and conclusion...

I have a point to discus, it depends on the weight of soil mix in the bigger pot and its effect on seedlings/small plants of annuals and softwood perennials like dahlia, chrysanthemums, geraniums...
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

There is a technique which expert mali apply to get better plants... in this technique we dont directly plant in the final big pot, but let the seedling/small plant grow in smaller pots and gradually when the plant grows we shift it into slightly bigger one, after two three shiftings the plant goes in final big pot... result is a healthy plant which blooms and also grows for much longer time compared to the one which is planted directly...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Yes the guiding principle should be the root system of the plant.
That is what I am observing and recording. The roots spread according to the size of plant but not always. For instance 8 inch pot is good enough for any Amaryllis but not for Papilio for which you require a 14 inch pot. My Primulas are happily blooming for the last one month in 6 inch pots and are still not root bound, while my Petunia seedlings in 6 inch pot are getting root bound.
Izhar, it is true that for container planting gradually increasing the pot size gives a better growth, but how about beds?
Arif
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

In bed the pressure of water is distributed and compaction soil is slower compared to pot.. In my opinion this compaction serves as main hindrance in growing plant in large containers... moreover, we use soil in our containers, most of the gardeners do not use soil at all in their containers... soil is very heavy compared to peat, coir, bark, compost...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Izhar wrote:In bed the pressure of water is distributed and compaction soil is slower compared to pot.. In my opinion this compaction serves as main hindrance in growing plant in large containers... moreover, we use soil in our containers, most of the gardeners do not use soil at all in their containers... soil is very heavy compared to peat, coir, bark, compost...
GETTING INTERESTING :)
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

May I suggest an alteration in the experiment? The smallest pot seems non-breathable plastic whereas other 3 r terracotta (breathable). Perhaps a uniform material to reduce bias

Sent from TBA iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussion”