Pot size

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Pot size

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

[quote="talha.bin.ayub"]May I suggest an alteration in the experiment? The smallest pot seems non-breathable plastic whereas other 3 r terracotta (breathable). Perhaps a uniform material to reduce bias

OK.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:
Izhar wrote:In bed the pressure of water is distributed and compaction soil is slower compared to pot.. In my opinion this compaction serves as main hindrance in growing plant in large containers... moreover, we use soil in our containers, most of the gardeners do not use soil at all in their containers... soil is very heavy compared to peat, coir, bark, compost...
GETTING INTERESTING :)
we use soil in our containers, most of the gardeners do not use soil at all in their containers...
Most gardeners of which country? Do they have as good soil as ours?
What do our professionals use? good quality canal bhall and leaf compost.
peat, coir, bark and compost are only soil conditioners and best be used as such. Americans use pine bark a good use of their timber industry waste, Srilanka and far east use and export coco pith for the same reason, all of them require additional chemical fertilisers.
It is an observation that for best results container soil should be changed on fresh potting so the availability and cost becomes a factor to be considered.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:
talha.bin.ayub wrote:May I suggest an alteration in the experiment? The smallest pot seems non-breathable plastic whereas other 3 r terracotta (breathable). Perhaps a uniform material to reduce bias

OK.
done
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

is this venidium?...if yes. unsuitable for pots....anyhow it will get taller and require staking
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Sir, I have discussed the potting medium with gardening mates in US, West Indies ...they dont use soil... I have been to Srilanka, Cambodia, Thailand.. they use coco chips and compost... Srilankans use sand.. they use very little chemical fertilizer..

Another observation:

Yesterday I went to the nursery from where i buy annual seedlings.. I had observation this season that potting medium of his seedlings contained sand (bajri), i asked him the reason, he told that it was due to unavailability of pure baalu mitti he used the one adulterated with bajri, initially he was afraid that this might cost him the business of this season but to a surprise the mix produced best results ever...
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Because i mostly garden in pots, i also agree that pot size should be gradually increased. However for planting things like wisteria or standard rose in a pot, i would choose bigger the better because they are very fast growing and would be root bound soon.

Talha pointed a valid point that plastic pot is very different than the clay one in terms of keeping moisture so you can judge the three clay ones among each other only. I am growing a large gardenia tietensis in a large plastic pot for last two years without any issue and for moisture loving plants i would suggest plastic pot instead of clay one.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

The bigger plants do better in bigger pots

As today.
actilla
City: New York
Gardening Interests: Cooking

stromectol tablets

Post by actilla »

The primary goal of this study is to assess the efficacy of bazedoxifene BZA as remyelinating agent in patients with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis RRMS <a href=https://stromectol.autos/>buy ivermectin for scabies</a>
accoure

kava kava and tamoxifen

Post by accoure »

<a href=http://nolvadex.one/>does tamoxifen cause menopause</a> There are several caveats that should be considered in evaluating our results, including measurement of SDM, generalizability, and year of the study
Acuseld

how to get finasteride in canada

Post by Acuseld »

Seven micron tissue cryosections were stained by hematoxylin and eosin H E according to standard protocols <a href=https://propecia.bond>finasteride 1 mg online pharmacy</a> Mephyton, AquaMephyton generic name vitamin K1, phytonadione pronounced VYE ta min K1 fye toe na DYE own tablet, injection emulsion Vitamin K1 is an essential lipid soluble vitamin that plays a vital role in the production of coagulation proteins

Return to “General Discussion”