vegetative growth/flowering

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

vegetative growth/flowering

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

More leaves produce more energy hence more blooms.
True or false ?
talha.bin.ayub

Re: vegetative growth/flowering

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Not the case with plants like Bougainville, cherry tree, and dozens of other kinds...

Sent from TBA iPhone using Tapatalk
yawer
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Post by yawer »

False for several fruit varieties

Sent from my HUAWEI G610-U20 using Tapatalk
Yawer
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Plants having long life are interested in survival, they flower/fruit for survival, if they have good vegetative growth they do not care to set seed and bloom profusely under stress (my observation/opinion).
But do the annuals and bulbs behave the same way?
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

No annuals do not behave such....more the vegetative growth more the flower. cauz they are programmed to end with season, which is inevitable. they try to live as long as they can.....but can not......they have no choice but to bolt at certain stage and if the vegi growth is more they will have more blooms
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Farhan Ahmed wrote:No annuals do not behave such....more the vegetative growth more the flower. cauz they are programmed to end with season, which is inevitable. they try to live as long as they can.....but can not......they have no choice but to bolt at certain stage and if the vegi growth is more they will have more blooms
Excellent, I feel it is true for bulbs and tubers too.
Amaryllis with good roots and more leaves has bigger bulb and likely to give more scapes, same in Daylilies better roots better leaves more fans mean more blooms.
Abrar mumtaz owner of Fazal Din Pharma now growing only daylilies is using these hormones regularly and is sold to their use three weeks ago I saw buds on some of his Daylilies.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

My observation is that a leafy growth due to excess nitrogen suppresses bloom formation and fruit formation.. it also decreases the quality of blooms and fruit.. best examples are tomatoes, beans, trailing petunia, cauliflower, broccoli, dahlia, poppy, roses...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

The bases for use of plant hormones is more roots, more foliage, bigger plants more blooms.
It is rather complicated for me.
asimPK
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Plants and flowers

Post by asimPK »

In my lilium experience heavy vegetative growth due to excessive nitrogen feed did not add the value as number of flower buds already decided in bulb embryo during chilling. More foliage more pressure on bulbs for nutrients so weaken bulb development. Flowers developed and bloomed better with potassium feed and bulbs develop better with phosphate feed.
So the balance between feeds and each feed timing is the key.
Mango tree goes dormancy in winter, In past I used lot of watering and nitrogen feed in winters and always resulted in flower deformation/malfication or early vegetative growth without flowering/fruit.
In my opinion hormones are best used in tissue culture and seed germination process where quick and rapid vegetative growth is required for mass-propagation with very litter hormone concentrations.

Return to “General Discussion”