Advice for Gazebo

Moderator: Izhar

Shazia Khurram
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Patio garden? Landscaping, beginner and willing to learn all that I can.

Advice for Gazebo

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Hi. My gazebo's canvas roof has been damaged and torn twice so far. I don't want to replace it anymore. I was thinking of removing the roof all together and covering it up with some vines. I especially like petrea volubilis, also called the queen's wreath or sandpaper vine.
Is this vine suitable for Rawalpindi? I understand some of our members have this growing in their gardens. Is it a fast grower? Do you think it'll serve the purpose? i.e. As a climber for covering up the gazebo?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454310538.056669.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454310275.693286.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454310240.073223.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Advice for Gazebo

Post by Izhar »

Why not wisteria ??
Shazia Khurram
Gardening Interests: Patio garden? Landscaping, beginner and willing to learn all that I can.

Post by Shazia Khurram »

The original plan was for wisteria, but I couldn't get hold of one that would flower within a year. Someone I know bought one from nursery. It's in its fifth year and it still hasn't flowered.
I've also read somewhere that queens wreath is easier to care for than wisteria.

Shazia Khurram

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Also, I was too late to contact sir Arif. He had already donated his wisteria cuttings for this year.

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Petrea is a good choice... what about Combretum indicum?? it is fragrant too.... and Garlic vine.. both are easy too...
Shazia Khurram

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Combretum indicum I already have growing on a wall. I just googled garlic vine and it's really beautiful. It's supposed to be really common but it haven't seen one as yet. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Buying a wisteria which flower within one year. I got hold of a source who sells wisteria plant propagated through layering and it will flower in its second year in pot. Source is reliable and thats the best bet per my knowledge. I will buy from him in coming weeks, as soon as plants start some growth. You might find his cell number on this forum some where, name is khalid and his nursery is on maratab ali road in Lahore. Price is reasonable too, negotiable too as he is acquaintance of Brig sb i guess.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com

Return to “General Discussion”