coco peat

Moderator: Izhar

muhammadosama
City: peshawar
Gardening Interests: growing vegies

coco peat

Post by muhammadosama »

what is coco peat and what is it called locall and where to find it and how to make it
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: coco peat

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

It is best to forget it.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

[emoji3] Brig Saheb clearly you're not a fan. How would you compare it to peat moss. I feel peat moss is good in pots for many reasons. It softens the soul, doesn't disintegrate quickly like compost so level of soil line remains constant in a pot for a long time. It retains much needed moisture longer without affecting drainage. Coco peat should be doing the same?
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

I use around 25% peat moss in all my pots, not just to improve soil but to acidify because my tap water is too alkaline. I do not use coco peat but i have heard that coco peat is safer than peat moss in terms of over-watering. Peat moss clearly repels water when total dry (which is not good), not the case with coco peat. I would prefer coco peat blocks which provide more aeration. I also fear salt accumulation in coco peat, not sure if it is already salt flushed or not.

Coco peat and coco blocks is easily available from all seeds shops. Izhar recommends coco peat ratio of 33% in seed mixes.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

aykhan wrote:[emoji3] Brig Saheb clearly you're not a fan. How would you compare it to peat moss. I feel peat moss is good in pots for many reasons. It softens the soul, doesn't disintegrate quickly like compost so level of soil line remains constant in a pot for a long time. It retains much needed moisture longer without affecting drainage. Coco peat should be doing the same?
Brig Saheb clearly you're not a fan. (True not of any type).

To give me this size of bulb the media has to be good.This pot has only BHALL and leaf compost.

Peat is , partially decomposed organic matter collected from swamps.
Peat moss is partially decomposed Sphagnum moss collected from the bogs.
Coco Peat is not a peat, it is un decomposed pith of Coco nut shell covering available in fine and chunk form.

Potting soil is prepared according to requirement.
Wall mounted plastic pots demand a very light water retaining well drained medium so I will use Peat or coco pith which ever is cheaper and readily available with Perlite,Pumic stone or any other inert light material And chemical fertilisers
For annuals in pots I find BHALL enriched with cow manure and leaf compost is the best.
For pots where I do not want to change the soil for a few years I will add coco pith.

This year my pots have the healthiest growth/flowering, the secret?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

IN CONTINUATION
The advantage claimed by peat/coco is that they do not brake down as fast as the other organic materials used thus the porosity of the medium does not change while the brake down of organic materials like manure/leaf compost provide the commonly known and un-known nutrients to plants.
A lot will depend on number of pots you are maintaining if you have only a few, you can use medium of your fancy but with hundreds BHALL,Manure and compost is best (in my experience)
Currently I am experimenting with coco pith one part and Carie (broken bricks) three parts, the water just runs through it.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Coco coir/pith/peat is completely devoid of nutrients and one has to supply nutrients continuously if used 100%...
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Izhar I think peat moss also degrades so slowly that there isn't much nutrition there. I think all these products are used as soil amenders rather than nutrients.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

aykhan wrote:Izhar I think peat moss also degrades so slowly that there isn't much nutrition there. I think all these products are used as soil amenders rather than nutrients.
True dr.sb. but peat decomposition is much rapid compared to coco coir... especially if there are lots of earthworms....
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Interesting. My peat pits have maintained their height easily for a year. I think one need to make sure the peat is moist before filling the pot otherwise it sits quickly after soaking.

Return to “General Discussion”