Rating Plants

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Rating Plants

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Sitting in my garden it occurred to me, if I was to select the best plant for my garden which one would it be?
Then I asked myself what would be the criteria?
First I must lay down the criteria, what I would want and what points for each quality.
For example;
Climatic suitability--- 40
Beauty------ 10
Variety 10
Fragrance 10
Blooming/fruiting 15
Care required 15
Total points 100
The points for each plant will vary according to climatic conditions and individuals choice.
Climatic suitability, just survival is not enough; the plant should thrive, develop and bloom/fruit to it best. A rose will get 40 up north, 30 in Islamabad and 20 in Lahore.
Again the Rose will get high marks in beauty, variety and fragrance and a Sea Daffodil, high in beauty, zero in variety and low in fragrance.
Certain fruit trees can grow in Lahore but will not fruit so why grow them.
Care required and the time you can devote is another very important factor (main reason why I have removed all roses).
It would be interesting to see the points each of our favourite plant gets.
You may have some other criteria of assessment so please let us discuss.
Arif
Umair
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: New Varieties and plant growth and propagation techniques

Re: Rating Plants

Post by Umair »

Aoa.

In my opinion Sir the variables should be climate suitability, beauty and care required.
As the blooming/fruiting is directly dependent on climate suitability and care.
And variety is of very little concern when plant is suitable and beautiful.
Finally fragrance, it is not necessary that every beautiful plant is fragrant and every fragrant plant is beautiful.

One thing that must be added here is disease resistance. (In my opinion most people in Lahore give up roses because of high disease attacks in first two years of plant as it takes a lot of effort to save them especially in summers and rainy season. As roses are quite suitable to Lahore and have most beautiful flowers, fragrant flowers,varieties,foliage and bush shape but there low disease resistance makes them more of a labor then enjoyment )

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Blooms and fragrance should get higher plants. It's in our nature to appreciate more, things that come by seldom n not stay forever.
Also in loving a plant, point should be included for ease of training a plant. It's different from just ease of care. Any plant cut n trained properly will look pretty.

Sent from TBA iPhone using Tapatalk
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

*typo, higher points

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Umair, Aoa, I agree with you the climate factor is most important, so it has the maximum points.
Blooming includes intensity and duration for instance Musambery puts up an excellent show but for a very short period While Premula blooms for months.
On variety I beg to differ from you It is the only reason I love Amaryllis and Daylily there is such a variety in colours, size and shape that you can have thousand plants each different from the other and as I have already mentioned, Sea Daffodil, high in beauty, zero in variety and low in fragrance.
I also agree with you that, it is not necessary that every beautiful plant is fragrant and every fragrant plant is beautiful. But a beautiful fragrant plant will get higher rating all other factors remaining the same.

Disease resistance comes under the care required and as I have confessed is the reason why no more Roses for me.

Talha, Thank you to my mind training of a plant comes under the care section
What do you mean by “typo higher points
Please suggest any other point system that comes to your mind.
Umair

Post by Umair »

Ur experience and examples have persuaded me and I totally agree with you on these points but please add disease resistance somewhere other than care required.
As I am making my rose collection on disease resistant varieties along with flower type and I have found disease resistance to be an important variable.
But still the race goes on "Bimari Gulabo k peechay aur main Bimari k" too much fun :)

Umair

Post by Umair »

I forgot to ask one thing what is the local name of see daffodil Sir

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Botanical name is Pancratium Narcissiflroum, not available in the market but you can have as many as you like from me. contact me 03214639444
Arif
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

SO WHICH PLANT OF YOUR GARDEN GETS MAXIMUM POINTS. :?
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Lagertroaemia indica:Image

Return to “General Discussion”