Lilium experience

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Lilium experience

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

This is an appeal to all dormant, tired, retired, inactive and active members who are/have grown Liliums, to share their experience, positive as well as negative for the benefit of us all.
Jera bolay ohi kundi kholay
I feel Liliums can be grown as perennials in Lahore but with special care.
Forced, already sprouted bulbs are sold in the market (at twice the price they are sold in India) in around October. Planted immediately they start flowering about ten weeks onward.
As the main stem dries the bulb will re sprout and re bloom in May/June.
Now when the stem dries and if left in the pot the bulbs go dormant and will stay healthy if not allowed to bone dry or get wet in rainy season. They will sprout again as the season changes blooming in April/May. These blooms are not as healthy as the cold season blooms.
The life cycle
As the bulb sprouts and the stem grows till blooming the energy stored in the bulb is consumed and it reduces in size, after the blooming till the stem dries the bulb replenishes the lost energy.
Chilling forces the bulb to sprout and is also required to keep the bulbs dormant. It is a must for growing Liliums in hot areas.
Chilling requirement varies with the variety of Lilium. About 40 days for Asiatic and 60-120 days for Orientals.
Chilling is in two stages, at -1C for dormancy and at 8-10C to encourage sprouting.
Plant your bulbs October onward depending upon when you want the blooms.
Hold on it is not as simple as that, there are many variables I still know not. Whereas most of my old bulbs planted in October have bloomed, one Pink variety (kept under same conditions) has yet to sprout although the bulbs are perfectly healthy.
Your contribution is requested
Arif
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Lilium experience

Arif
It appears my request has been turned down, I know many experienced member gardeners have grown Lilium in the past.
PLEASE DO SAY SOME THING
Arif
Umair
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: New Varieties and plant growth and propagation techniques

Post by Umair »

From ur experience can u suggest me a lillium variety that will not require any chilling. And will bloom coming year if left in pot/ground. Even the bloom size decrease i am good with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

I have no experience of lilium bulbs left in ground but Easter lily and some Asiatic will survive in pots and bloom in May.
asimPK
Gardening Interests: Plants and flowers

Post by asimPK »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:This is an appeal to all dormant, tired, retired, inactive and active members who are/have grown Liliums, to share their experience, positive as well as negative for the benefit of us all.
Jera bolay ohi kundi kholay
I feel Liliums can be grown as perennials in Lahore but with special care.
Forced, already sprouted bulbs are sold in the market (at twice the price they are sold in India) in around October. Planted immediately they start flowering about ten weeks onward.
As the main stem dries the bulb will re sprout and re bloom in May/June.
Now when the stem dries and if left in the pot the bulbs go dormant and will stay healthy if not allowed to bone dry or get wet in rainy season. They will sprout again as the season changes blooming in April/May. These blooms are not as healthy as the cold season blooms.
The life cycle
As the bulb sprouts and the stem grows till blooming the energy stored in the bulb is consumed and it reduces in size, after the blooming till the stem dries the bulb replenishes the lost energy.
Chilling forces the bulb to sprout and is also required to keep the bulbs dormant. It is a must for growing Liliums in hot areas.
Chilling requirement varies with the variety of Lilium. About 40 days for Asiatic and 60-120 days for Orientals.
Chilling is in two stages, at -1C for dormancy and at 8-10C to encourage sprouting.
Plant your bulbs October onward depending upon when you want the blooms.
Hold on it is not as simple as that, there are many variables I still know not. Whereas most of my old bulbs planted in October have bloomed, one Pink variety (kept under same conditions) has yet to sprout although the bulbs are perfectly healthy.
Arif
Only worry about pink?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Yesterday Asim visited me and we discussed Lilium cultivation in detail, I was amazed the knowledge he had and about his success. I told him that I am ditching Liliums and all my stock is his from today and requested him to remove them within a fortnight.
Lilums have followed the Roses from my garden.
Umair
Gardening Interests: New Varieties and plant growth and propagation techniques

Post by Umair »

So Sir u are also tired from exercise of digging-cleaning-chilling-storing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

[quote="Umair"]So Sir u are also tired from exercise of digging-cleaning-chilling-storing

TRUE
asimPK

Post by asimPK »

Pink probably an Asiatic Lilium blooming now . Bulbs were broken headed and obtained from Chanan Din, Gulberg, which were redeveloped in spring, chilled and planted. It grow happy with summer heat and produces 3 buds each.
Not seen this variety yet anywhere. Have any one purchased and grew it?

Brig. Sb. All oriental bulbs were under re-sprout and no further emerging taking place except became rot.
Only OT Topika big bulbs and asiatic tressor are showing good signs of dormant bulbs.
asimPK

Post by asimPK »

I am also successfully done experiment to grow plants <30C till July in very cheap way by solar day air cooler.
In order to control pest and diseases and any indoor or light deficit place utilization for planting, LED artificial lighting is also very very cheep.
Pls. contact me if any one is interesting or have experience of growing flowers in artificial lights in Lahore.

Return to “General Discussion”