Plant Id(Resolved)

Post pictures of your plants/flowers for identification.

Moderator: Izhar

newton
City: jhelum

Re: Plant Id

Post by newton »

I have always believed the Chaung to be Caralluma Fimbriata (photo follows) or

Kalli mooliyan, kallimudayan ( tamil)
Karallamu (Telegu)
Yugmaphallottama (Sanskrit)
Ranshabar, makad shenguli, shindala makadi ( marathi)
Chong (urdu)

Background: Caralluma fimbriata has been eaten in rural Pakistan/India for centuries, raw, as a vegetable with spices, or preserved in chutneys and pickles.

It has been used as a portable food and thirst quencher for hunting. It is also used for its scientifically proven ability to suppress hunger and appetite. It also purportedly enhances stamina. It is believed to have an effect on the appetite control centre of the brain.[1] Tribesmen on a day's hunt will often only pack some Caralluma fimbriata to sustain themselves and hence it is commonly known as "famine food" in India

Caralluma fimbriata also contains a substance which make the body absorb more oxygen. More oxygen means a faster metabolism, less toxins and more energy! (all utilising the existing fat reserves and on an empty stomach)

Caralluma fimbriata belongs to the cacti family Apocynaceae and is used across the northern areas of the subcontinent. It is eaten as a vegetable with herbs, but also with preserved pickles and chutneys. In some cases it is soaked overnight and the water drunk in the morning.

It has recently been manufactured into weight loss slimming pills. there are no side effects with its consumption, although there are claims of diabetes reduction these have not been proven. It does have some cholesterol lowering properties as well as a reduction of artherogenic plaque.

It has been used as a vegetable for 100s of years. Its taste is delicious, similar to karela or bitter gourd, it is sometimes available in South Asian Supermarkets mainly imported from Pakistan. A lot of people nowadays dont know how or what its used for. I would like to grow one or two of these plants at home in the UK.
Caralluma%20Fimbriata%20-%20%20for%20ebay-004.jpg
caralluma%20fimbriata.jpg
caralluma%20fimbriata.jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 4841 times
It is my understanding that the Stapella my learned friends refered to is a similar plant from South Africa with slightly different qualities. Please forgive me if im mistaken and correct me if im wrong but I am keen to promulgate our own ancient skills and knowledge.

Chaung grows wild across mainly the arid scrublands in between rocks and such like desert type terrain. the varieties in Pakistan I am led to believe have mainly dark maroon small flowers that also have an unpleasant rotting flesh smell. the plant is also used traditionally as a boundary marker. (why I don't know but I intend to find out)

Kind regards

Ifzaal
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

The kachmach is a well documented diuretic. It is used by our pansaris as a treatement for enlarged liver
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

newton wrote: Chaung grows wild across mainly the arid scrublands in between rocks and such like desert type terrain. the varieties in Pakistan I am led to believe have mainly dark maroon small flowers that also have an unpleasant rotting flesh smell. the plant is also used traditionally as a boundary marker. (why I don't know but I intend to find out)

Kind regards

Ifzaal
Thanks Ifzaal sahab for such well researched update. I also checked a very reliable source i.e. The Flora of Pakistan (a joint project by Pakistani botanists and USA govt.). They do not list Stapelia as a plant of Pakistani origin, but Caralluma edulis is listed (edulis means eatible). In vernacular language, they list the following names: Pippa; Pippu; Chaunga
Lectotype: Mooltan (Multan), August 1852, M.P. Edgeworth (K).
Distribution: India (Punjab); Pakistan (Sind, Punjab, Baluchistan).
The plant is eaten as vegetable.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Boojo tu janay.....another quiz ??

A bush/shrub in the making-Top View
20130929_094858.jpg
20130929_094858.jpg (110.8 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
Side View
20130929_094851.jpg
20130929_094851.jpg (130.98 KiB) Viewed 4779 times
I know,one Forum member is an authority on this,but he is missing,after his initial posts.If he reads,he should give others a chance to guess,for 3 days.
M Farooq

Re: Plant Id(Resolved)

Post by M Farooq »

Munir wrote:Boojo tu janay.....another quiz ??

I know,one Forum member is an authority on this,but he is missing,after his initial posts.If he reads,he should give others a chance to guess,for 3 days.
Munir shb, please name the authority otherwise, everyone considering himself/ herself an authority, would restrain from replying :-)
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

and please give a close up photo at least of flower.
Khalid Abro
Gardening Interests: Cacti & Succulents, Fruit Trees, Vines, Herbs & Vegies

Post by Khalid Abro »

M Farooq wrote:
newton wrote: Chaung grows wild across mainly the arid scrublands in between rocks and such like desert type terrain. the varieties in Pakistan I am led to believe have mainly dark maroon small flowers that also have an unpleasant rotting flesh smell. the plant is also used traditionally as a boundary marker. (why I don't know but I intend to find out)

Kind regards

Ifzaal
Thanks Ifzaal sahab for such well researched update. I also checked a very reliable source i.e. The Flora of Pakistan (a joint project by Pakistani botanists and USA govt.). They do not list Stapelia as a plant of Pakistani origin, but Caralluma edulis is listed (edulis means eatible). In vernacular language, they list the following names: Pippa; Pippu; Chaunga
Lectotype: Mooltan (Multan), August 1852, M.P. Edgeworth (K).
Distribution: India (Punjab); Pakistan (Sind, Punjab, Baluchistan).
The plant is eaten as vegetable.
Thanks to all for highlighting this plant and its benefits, on my last visit to Empress Market Karachi around two weeks ago, while searching for Bihh another tasty vegetable i came across a vendor selling this strange vegetable he called it "Pahari Karella" on my close inspection i identified it as stapelia since i also have few plants of it. He was saying it cures many diseases and has great nutritional value. If i go there again i will buy it this time and wil then compare it with my home plants to check the difference or the similarity.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Stevia
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Stevia is grown by seed by nurseries who offer a single plant in a small pot for Rs 100 minimum and doesn't normally survive after 2 seasons. I haven't been successful in keeping my plants alive. Had 3 plants which were planted two years but died after an year.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Khalid Abro wrote: Thanks to all for highlighting this plant and its benefits, on my last visit to Empress Market Karachi around two weeks ago, while searching for Bihh
It is quite difficult to find one in Karachi...Bihh turned out to be Lotus root after one colleague brought cooked bhii. Were you successful in locating it? And if you are really fond of new foods, try cooking banana flower.

Return to “Plant Identification”