What kind of champa/plumeria is this?

Post pictures of your plants/flowers for identification.

Moderator: Izhar

Shazia Khurram
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Patio garden? Landscaping, beginner and willing to learn all that I can.

What kind of champa/plumeria is this?

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Hi everyone. I'm searching for fragrant champa. Most nurseries have the non fragrant Thai varieties. One nurserymen showed me the one below in the pic. He says it's from Karachi and has fragrant white flowers? Unfortunately, he didn't know this verity's name. Plz help.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432459489.351634.jpg
hnasir
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Orchids
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Re: What kind of champa/plumeria is this?

Post by hnasir »

You can only tell a plumeria when it blooms- the local one does have rounded leaves and white fragrant flowers.

You should also try an imported variety which has flowers which look like a mix of yellow pink white I forget what it;s called something peach. It has a fruity scent!
Shazia Khurram
Gardening Interests: Patio garden? Landscaping, beginner and willing to learn all that I can.

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Thank you hnasir . I think the plumeria you have described is called Penang peach. I saw those last year in Phuket Thailand. Yes those do smell nice. Here's a pic
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432531373.501722.jpg
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Basically there are two types of Plumeria found even in the local varieties. One is an evergreen variety known as 'Plumeria Obtusa' having round leaves while the other variety known as 'Plumeria ruba' having narrow leaves is a deciduous variety meaning it sheds leaves.

Also the local variety does not merely have a white colour with slight tinge of yellow but there is also a red colour in the local variety.

'Penang Peach' shown above is a deciduous variety.
hnasir
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Post by hnasir »

I think Brig. sb has shared his plumeria pictures which is the local white- perhaps you can search the forum!

Karachi has all sorts of plumerias now- I own about 6 different ones! You could also try growing them from seed. They germinate with ease!
Shazia Khurram

Post by Shazia Khurram »

mikhurram: thank you for sharing your knowledge on plumerias. I already bought the one in the picture I posted in the first post. Now I know thanks to you that it's an evergreen one. Have planted it on the corner of my street.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432614163.370437.jpg
Shazia Khurram

Post by Shazia Khurram »

hnasir: thanks for you input. I'll search the forum for Brg. Sahb's post. Your description of Penang peach has tempted me on buying one for the back garden.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

hnasir wrote:Karachi has all sorts of plumerias now- I own about 6 different ones!
The imported variety you described penang peach, is it available at karachi?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
hnasir
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Post by hnasir »

Khabab bhai I don't know exactly if it is peach penang, but i think it is. This one had become very common now and you can get a good two foot rooted cutting for a 50 or 100rs nowdays.
Attachments
WP_20140504_004 (2).jpg
Shazia Khurram

Post by Shazia Khurram »

Hnasir beautiful blooms Mashallah. it's either Penang peach, or California sunset. Hard to tell them apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Plant Identification”