Tree ID

Post pictures of your plants/flowers for identification.

Moderator: Izhar

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Tree ID

Post by M Farooq »

ASA, Can anyone identify this tree sapling? I found it growing in Karachi University, and the tree used to bear white fragrant flowers (no picture available). It is apparently not a bakayan tree (Melia sp). Thanks.
Attachments
photo (4).jpg
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Tree ID

Post by Izhar »

Millingtonia hortensis...

You smelled the flowers yourself?? what was the time?? there is tall Millingtonia outside Maskan gate of KU... it becomes loaded with white blooms during spring but I didnt noticed any fragrance... Shalimar nursery owner persuaded me to grow this tree...
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Thank you Izhar. You solved an 8 year old question. This was growing near the botany dept which at one time was the hub of rare trees and plants. This time when I visited again, I saw these baby trees. Again based on my memory, the flowers were quite fragrant and now that I know the names, the web search confirms that. It was sad to see most of those rare trees have died esp. the only Bauhinia variegata tree in Karachi? Secondly what happened to Shalimar nursery? It did not have any (rare) plants they used to have. It looked like an ordinary nursery! Have the owners changed or it was the weather?

See Top Tropicals
"The tree flowers from October till the end of December. The flowers are used in rituals. Because of the perfume of the flowers they are very much sought after."
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Owner is the same but they are now mostly into landscaping and maintenance of big lawns and golf courses.. I had a long discussion with him (Fazal sb. the owner)... he showed me some specimen of rare plants he has in his nursery not for sale..

Farooq bhai.. suna aur parha tou mainay bhi hay iski fragrance ka but I never smelled it.. I guess it is mild during the day time...
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

What is the name of the bearded gentleman in Shalimar who usually shows the plants around? Is he Fazal sb?

I recall that Millingtonia has a mild fragrance unlike our motia or jasmine. It is more like spider lily fragrance (mild but pleasant). I only remember this tree because of its fragrance; may be the variety at the Maskan gate is not fragrant.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

No I guess you are talking about the care taker.... Fazal sb. wear white starched cotton suit (seth sb. :mrgreen:)
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Ok, makes sense with starchy clothes that I never met the owner :-) BTW, Izhar bhai do you where to get yellow Michelia champaca in Karachi and the true Cananga odorata (Shalimar has a dwarf version which is not fragrant)?
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Diamond Nursery only as he knows his plants and they are tagged too.. Michelia champaca is available in Lahore easily..
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

I went there and bought Michelia figo. I guess you and another member bought it too. They had white Michelia alba, which I don't like. Hopefully, I will find champaca too.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

If you are in Karachi, lets meet up on weekend...

Return to “Plant Identification”