Plant food

Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Re: DAP use

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Faiqa Hameed wrote:Can we use DAP in small quantity in money plants and some flowering plants ? I have actually used it don't know if it will cause damage to my plants .
DAP contains the second most important nutrient element, phosphorous (P) besides nitrogen (N) 18-46-0.

DAP strengthens the roots of the plant and improves nutrient uptake. While Nitrogen in DAP is used in vegetative growth of the plant and improved the foliage quality.

In my little knowledge, it do not matter if u use DAP in small quantity (small half spoon/plant) in foliage and flowering plant.

In flowering plant u can use DAP for strong root and vegetative production but before it start to grow flowering bud u should use potassium (K) as well. It helps the plant for better flower growth in quantitative and qualitative both.
Learn & Share
Faiqa Hameed
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Taking care of flowering plants.

Re: Plant food

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

Thank u Mr. Bilal........Is potassium easily available at nurseries ???and by which name ? Kindly suggest how and when to use it .I m new at gardening stuff, didnt have that much knowledge.
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Thanks Faida sister and u r welcome.

whether to use potash fertilizer alone it is better to use NPK with trace elements.

I recommend you to use "General purpose fertilizer" for the home plants.

or use "Growmore 20:20:20". Grow more is USA based company. Beside Basic element i,e N.P.K this also contains trace elements, which used for a healthy lush green plant. It can be used as foliar fertilizer as well. I personally use this fertilizer for my folliage and flowering plants.

Fertilizer is applied at the requirement of a plant and at the different stages of plant at the different rate. application of excess fertilizer to the plant promote accumulation salts in the root zone. which damage the plant.
Learn & Share
Faiqa Hameed

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

Is Urea or NPK same thing ? If not can we use Urea on mango trees aswell ? and what should be the quantity? Kindly suggest .
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Faiqa Hameed wrote:Is Urea or NPK same thing ? If not can we use Urea on mango trees aswell ? and what should be the quantity? Kindly suggest .
No, Urea and NPK are different chemical synthesized fertilizers. Urea only contain Nitrogen @ 46% while NPK contains three basic elements needed to a plant i,e Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium. NPK available in different contained rates like 15.15.15, 20.20.20 etc...

What is the age of your tree??

Nitrogen is needed at the time of vegetative flushing to support leaf growth. So u can apply urea to mango tree even in April month. Broadcast the urea under the canopy of the tree leaving 1 feet from the trunk. Before the application tilth (godi) the soil around the canopy leaving 1 feet from the trunk of the tree. Soon after the application of fertilizer apply irrigation water. It is better to apply the fertilizer at the morning time. Dont fertilized the tree in the rainy days.
Learn & Share
Faiqa Hameed

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

Actually the tree is 7 years old .It did gave mangoes till previous year but after then some pests infected it and due to heavy monsoon rains in lahore it got damaged somehow.We cutt of all the branches and leaves. This year its growing well .New leaves are showing up. I put some cow manure in it in february and someone suggested DAP in march aswell. So after use of DAP new leaves are showing up quite rapidly. Some people are suggesting urea, so I didnt know the procedure of using it. Thanks for putting light.
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Faiqa Hameed wrote:Actually the tree is 7 years old .It did gave mangoes till previous year but after then some pests infected it and due to heavy monsoon rains in lahore it got damaged somehow.We cutt of all the branches and leaves. This year its growing well .New leaves are showing up. I put some cow manure in it in february and someone suggested DAP in march aswell. So after use of DAP new leaves are showing up quite rapidly. Some people are suggesting urea, so I didnt know the procedure of using it. Thanks for putting light.
u r welcome.

U did well pruning the damaged branches. U should had to applied well rotted manure in winter in December month bcoz nutrients in manure are slowly available to plants. Anyway it is ok if u used it in the February. Always use well rotted decomposed manure, fresh manure burn the roots of plants as it contains high rate of nitrogen and ammonia and also they attracts pathogens and insects.

Never use DAP & Urea in the same time. The high rate of nitrogen may damaged the roots of ur plants.
Phosphorous in DAP & potassium in NPK are actually obtain from the phosphate & Potash rocks, they are slowly available for the plant for a long time. while Nitrogen is fast available.

Nitrogen, phosphorous & Potassium are applied in the February month before the plant start sprouting its leaf buds and second application of chemical fertilizer NPK are applied before the panicles start sprouting.

I think it is the time in Punjab panicles will soon sprout. All wt u need to apply NPK handful broadcasting to the canopy of tree. Thanks
Learn & Share
Faiqa Hameed

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

Thanks alot for the Info Mr. Bilal
Muhammad Bilal

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Faiqa Hameed wrote:Thanks alot for the Info Mr. Bilal
U r welcome
Learn & Share
muhammadimran7
City: rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: growing from seeds

Post by muhammadimran7 »

i have got growmore vitax 7.0 7.0 7.0 from somewhere. how to use it. should i dissolve it in water or just sprinkle it on the soil surface. instructions written on it are "Prior to sowing or planting, 140g per square meter (4oz per square yard)

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”