Vermiculite vs Perlite

Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

Kaiser
City: Karachi

Vermiculite vs Perlite

Post by Kaiser »

I find it interesting, posting the link explaining the subject matter. http://worldseedsupply.org/blog/?p=113
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Vermiculite vs Perlite

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Work with locally available materials only.
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

I agree with mr.arif .. No need for verm or perlite .. Potting mix was made so that soil is free draining, doesn't dry out easily and is lightweight. Simply using ballu mitti, home-made compost and rotted manure, a very good mix can be made which works wonderfully in general for all plants. If really fussy, adding cocopeat can make it lighter. But in a humid climate like karachi, where putting it loosely, fungi thrive, cocopeat makes the soil too wet leading to rot imo. So point being, use what you can find easily and cheaply. Just think k for decades, our people have grown amazing plants in pots without per or verm, still getting amazing results!
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I agree with both of you my friends and thank you dragoonsers for explaining it very well. I had posted this link particularly for those who might be interested to know a difference between Vermiculite vs Perlite.

Let me share here the recipes i am following for more or less all of my plants doing all fine. 1 part cow manure + 3 part bhal(sand) I always put a layer of crushed marble at container base and cover it with a thin layer of coir for undisturbed drainage.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Kaiser, here is a post by Brig. sb. (Muhammad Arif Khan)... he is the most experienced among us and using the locally available stuff with good results.. do read the discussion till end..
Happy gardening :)
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Thank you Izhar, I followed the linked.

Mr. Arif has mentioned their few Mixes ratios and he asked for Mr. Gulzar's technical opinion that is still missing their. So to the fortune of all of us seeking appropriate mixes most suitable to our respective weather conditions, lets see when Mr. Gulzar can opt in and post his opinion in response to Mr. Arif query.

There a beautiful Chinese proverb - "All gardeners know better than other gardeners". Isn't it so true ? Happy learning & Happy Gardening :-)
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

did you read his post on page no.3 ?
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Izhar, I didnt noticed other pages, I'll do that later at evening, got to be at work now.
Kind regards to you and to Mr. Arif.

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”