Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: humic acid

Post by Izhar »

Completely agreed with Farooq...

following are the results of using Potassium humate on Amaranthus tricolor "early splendor", no other fertilizer (synthetic or natural) has been used:

Test bed:

Control bed (strong winds in recent past had knocked out the top portion of three plants):
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Izhar wrote:Completely agreed with Farooq...
following are the results of using Potassium humate on Amaranthus tricolor "early splendor", no other fertilizer (synthetic or natural) has been used:
What a dramatic difference and it leaves no doubt that (extracted) K-humate is not beneficial but more of a disaster. Stunted growth is evident. And let us clarify that humic acid is not one component. It is not a fertilizer either. Humic acid is neither bad. It is formed naturally from decomposition of natural organic material in the soil e.g. everyone knows that gober does no harm and it is more likely beneficial as a chelating agent and soil conditioner (binder for trace nutrients).
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

I always want to experiment things before recommending or commenting..
currently running an experiment on effect of slow released fertilizer on petunia... will share the results inshaAllah..
azwarjaved
City: Faisalabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants, Roses, Fragrant plants,Landscaping, Vegetables & fruit plants.

Post by azwarjaved »

Dear Izhar Bhai & Respective Forum Members
AOA
I am new to this forum and found it very help full and supportive to keep abreast of new developments regarding gardening, plant growth and disease issues and their management and I would commend that Mash Ahallah all the members are generous to offer the best of their knowledge stay blessed with the moto "Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
As the petunia has started blooming I would like to know about your experiment, "effect of slow release fertilizer for petunia". Would you like to share your experiment with results Regards
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

It was abandoned... I dont remember the reason... but I dont find comparatively better results of slow-release fertilizers in my potting mixes...
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Izhar I have been using slow released fert for quite a long time in pots. As I prefer inorganic gardening, slow release fert has the advantage but it should be of a renowned brand. It replenishes the draining essential nutrients in the potting mix with the support of additional liq fert. For those who are into organic gardening, it is best to get the nutrient part of potting soil from manure, fishmeal, bonemeal, compost etc.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Your potting medium must be soil-less... I used Nutricote... comparative results showed no significant difference.. it is very expensive though... around Rs.1000/kg..
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Bhal is such a blessing for garden lovers in PAK, not only it is a perfect soil for pots but it fights off pathogens as well. Outside PAK, soil-less medium is preferable.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Syed Adnan wrote:Bhal is such a blessing for garden lovers in PAK, not only it is a perfect soil for pots but it fights off pathogens as well. Outside PAK, soil-less medium is preferable.
How can some thing so cheap and readily available be so good, YOU MUST BE KIDDING :lol:

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”