Soil Mix for pots

Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Imran
City: Lahore

Soil Mix for pots

Post by Muhammad Imran »

AOA to everyone

I am really a novice and new to this hobby. My only option is container planting.

I would be obliged if anyone could guide me as to the soil mix ratio for bhal+sand+cow manure/leaf compost for containers as a general rule. I potted some containers with bhal and 30% cow manure and it looks to me heavy. Water seeps down the container very slowly and most of the time never comes out from below.

Thank you.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Soil Mix for pots

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Kindly search the forum for soil mixes and especially see posts by Sir Arif on container gardening and soil mixes. It will answer all your questions
Muhammad Imran

Post by Muhammad Imran »

I reviewed most of the posts but could not put things into practice as they relates to characteristics of elements and other related issues, which are important and beneficial but i could not figure out how to take a start. I know most of the things will come after some experience but i would love to have direct to do instructions to have a go and start things going.
Muhammad Imran

Post by Muhammad Imran »

To make it more precise, what kind of soil mix in containers would do for the following
Pancy
Petunia
Dahlia
Rose
Primula
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Recommended by Sir Arif
"I am using 2 parts river sand, 2 parts bhall, 1 part leaf compost and some cow manure and a little NPK 20-20-20"

Recommended by Izhar
"for annuals there is not much problem in using conventional mixes like 2 part soil (balu mitti here) with 1 part manure, this mix when supplied by a little NPK is good for 4-5 months (a period in which most annuals complete their life cycle here)"
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Pansy, primula are sensitive to heavy soil, specially when temps. are higher. Their leaves will droop and finally burnt out. Becareful. Petunia will not mind at all.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Syed Adnan wrote:Pansy, primula are sensitive to heavy soil, specially when temps. are higher. Their leaves will droop and finally burnt out. Becareful. Petunia will not mind at all.
Adnan, could you clarify what exactly you mean by heavy soil. You are doing a lot of container gardening; what mix are you using & recommend?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Muhammad Imran wrote:AOA to everyone

I am really a novice and new to this hobby. My only option is container planting.

I would be obliged if anyone could guide me as to the soil mix ratio for bhal+sand+cow manure/leaf compost for containers as a general rule. I potted some containers with bhal and 30% cow manure and it looks to me heavy. Water seeps down the container very slowly and most of the time never comes out from below.

Thank you.
The best person to help you is your name sake;

Muhammad Imran Khan » March 1st, 2012, 11:04 pm
IP:

this FORUM is a good news for all gardeners and plants lovers. i am a professional Horticulturist having MSc Hons in Horticulture-floriculture and landscaping. ANYONE who wants any help about gardening and plants is always most welcome, i salute to all gardening enthusiasts for their love for plants and gardening.

Let us have your views.
Muhammad Imran

Post by Muhammad Imran »

Thank you very much to every one.

That is very helpful.

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”