is NPK poison?

Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

is NPK poison?

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

I have liquid NPK 20-20-20 and use it as foliar spray.on the label of botal it is written that it is poison use it carefully.i want to know that is npk poison.and if yes then what precautions we should aopt because i am using fertilizer fortnightly and i am not using any safety gloves etc are they neccessery to wear...
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: is NPK poison

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Poison only if you try to fertilize yourself :-).......no harm on contact with skin but by ingestion

Precautions are always better once handling fertilizers, pesticides etc
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

hakraza wrote:I have liquid NPK 20-20-20 and use it as foliar spray.on the label of botal it is written that it is poison use it carefully.i want to know that is npk poison.and if yes then what precautions we should aopt because i am using fertilizer fortnightly and i am not using any safety gloves etc are they neccessery to wear...
The manufacturers know more than the users-if it says toxic, then it must be, especially by ingestion. It would certainly not be as poisonous as a pesticide but it is not good for health either :-)

The key point is that contrary to the popular opinion absorption of chemicals by skin is very common too. Of course nobody would soak himself in the fertilizer but prevention is better than the cure. Even the plants are absorbing it from the skin of their leaves. And given that it is a spray, it is a good practice not to allow fine aerosol enter the body by inhalation. So I would suggest both gloves and something to wrap around the nose (ideally a nose mask), as we typically do while spraying pesticides.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana

it is the point mr farooq because it is written in safety guide of npk that it can be absorbed through skin so i was anxious because our local farmers which use urea and dap frequently they use it in normal routine and even dont wash their hands after applying fertilizer so i was thinking why there is caution on npk while not on urea and dap,
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

hakraza wrote:it is the point mr farooq because it is written in safety guide of npk that it can be absorbed through skin so i was anxious because our local farmers which use urea and dap frequently they use it in normal routine and even dont wash their hands after applying fertilizer so i was thinking why there is caution on npk while not on urea and dap,
I agree that we have bad practices because we think of short term effects. Unfortunately urea is also rapidly absorbed by human skin. Besides that foliar sprays have a small amount of trace metals added purposefully. They add an additive to so that the plants can easily absorb the metals from their leaves.

Urea is not lethal/ toxic in the sense that our body makes urea and excretes it as well. And believe it or not phosphate and potash fertilizers have a very very small amount of radioactivity (measurable but harmless, of course in terms of dose). That is why some scientists believe that tobacco, which needs lots and lots of phosphate concentrates those unwanted elements from the phosphate fertilizers, is harmful in the long term. So the idea just to exercise care/ caution, avoid breathing aerosols and not to over fear. Everything is essentially is coming from the Earth and nature typically doesn't want to harm us :-)
Hamad Ahmed Kisana

thanks farooq bhai for explaining briefly now my point is clear..
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Further light on NPK and its health hazards.....

Extracts
Health Hazards Skin
Products are of low toxicity and slightly acidic. Prolong skin or eye contact may cause some irritation"........

In my study NPK compounds can not enter internal skin epidermis due to its non-organic/non-alcoholic/mineral nature, and only can be a cause of irritation(skin damage).

Ingestion
Small quantities are unlikely to be harmful. Large quantities may give rise to gastrointestinal disorders.

Inhalation
Low toxicity dust may form unpleasant deposits in the nose and upper respiratory tract leading to sore throat and coughing. Generally regarded as a nuisance dust with no specific official occupational exposure limit(OEL).

http://www.iclfertilizers.com/Fertilize ... _FE_CV.pdf
farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Re: is NPK poison?

Post by farah fayyaz »

today i visited a seed shop to buy magnesium sulphate and potasium sulphate but none was present there so they gaveme npk.i don't know when u say 20 20 20.please explain me and also i wanna to ask dis this can i use this for all vegetables those have started flowering like tomato and mango.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I would advice not getting into chemicals early into gardening.....slight miscalculation can harm plants
20 20 20 is ratio of Nitrogen Phosphorous and potassium(micro plant nutrients) ........
farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

farhan137 wrote:I would advice not getting into chemicals early into gardening.....slight miscalculation can harm plants
20 20 20 is ratio of Nitrogen Phosphorous and potassium(micro plant nutrients) ........
Thanks alot

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”