How to make homemade soil mix?

Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

Najum ul Saqib
City: Gujranwala

How to make homemade soil mix?

Post by Najum ul Saqib »

Assalam o alaikum.... Ma ye puchna chahun ga k aksar log egg shell and used patti(tea) ko soil ma daltay hein k ye khad ka kaam krti he! kya ye baat sahi hy? agr haan toh mujhey sahi tarah tareeka bta dein k iss tarah ki khad kese bnatay hein aur kitni use krtay hein iskay advantages n disadv. kya hein aur ye patton ki khad kese bnti aur use hti hy?
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: How to make homemade soil mix?

Post by M Farooq »

Najum ul Saqib wrote:Assalam o alaikum.... Ma ye puchna chahun ga k aksar log egg shell and used patti(tea) ko soil ma daltay hein k ye khad ka kaam krti he! kya ye baat sahi hy? agr haan toh mujhey sahi tarah tareeka bta dein k iss tarah ki khad kese bnatay hein aur kitni use krtay hein iskay advantages n disadv. kya hein aur ye patton ki khad kese bnti aur use hti hy?
Hmm good question. I was judging in a science fair yesterday...and someone did a similar project. What is the effect of egg shell in a soil mix. Suprisingly enough the soil which had egg shells did not do well than the normal soil. Another observation that the student claimed that the seed sprouted way earlier in the soil containg the egg shell than in the normal soil.

In my observation, chai ki patti promotes fungus especially in pots if your sprinkle chai ki patti on the soil. The most simple approach is that you take well rotted manure (purani khaad) and use it as a potting mix with bhalo matti.

For patton ki khad you really lots of leaves to begin with. You can begin experimenting later.
Najum ul Saqib

Post by Najum ul Saqib »

So what do you say ? should I not have to use egg shell and patti?? Actually I am having problems with getting manure and nursery is so far that is why I was asking that can I make my own fertilizer at home?
Najum ul Saqib

Post by Najum ul Saqib »

I also do want to ask that can I use horse manure instead of cow manure as horse manure is easily available here! I have read somewhere on internet that horse manure can also be used !
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

sure if you can bear smell of horse manure..although no manure is used fresh so manure of either cow or horse should be well composed before using..
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Most viable option for you seems to be to prepare your own compost.The method can be found from the Net. However, it is easy, roughly: Zameen mein itna khadda khodain jitna 4-6 mahinay mein bhar jaey.Is mein plastic bhichaein aur dewaron kay sath bhi lagaen. Is mein apnay kitchen ka har rose ka bacha khucha( kachra) yehni sabzion fruit k chilkey,egg shell ,bacha hoa khana( hudian nahien), baghichay k pattay aur ghas ki kutrun dhaltein rahein. Takribun har foot bharnei par khuch mitti ,ya/aur Urea aur thora pani dall dein. Bharnein k bahd andazun 30-40 din rehnein dein , jab is ka rung takribun kala ho jaey ga(teh wala to yakinun). Is k bahd yeh istehmal kia ja skta hae. I am not an expert,therefore, the more learneds on the Forum can correct me or add more details.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Najum ul Saqib wrote:I also do want to ask that can I use horse manure instead of cow manure as horse manure is easily available here! I have read somewhere on internet that horse manure can also be used !
No idea about horse manure....provided it is "old" it shouldn't smell that badly. If I understand correctly you mentioned that your plants are in pots? You have to be more careful with new experiments. Otherwise the plants may simply burn.
Najum ul Saqib wrote:So what do you say ? should I not have to use egg shell and patti?? Actually I am having problems with getting manure and nursery is so far that is why I was asking that can I make my own fertilizer at home?
I would not suggest to use chai ki patti. Egg shell is almost pure calcium carbonate ( = marble, old choona) I do not see any nutritional value in both.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Horse manure is not as nutritious as cow manure....as horse do not break down the food completely. Its sort of half finished product.
Najum ul Saqib

Post by Najum ul Saqib »

yani cow manure hi simple solution he... kyu k mere pas itni jagah b nai he k mein zameen ma khadda kholnay waala experiment krun
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Soil mix that i use for all kinds of plants..

2 parts good quality non-clayey soil + 2 parts coarse sand + 1 part fully rotted manure.

Gives best results every time..

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”