Bone/BLood/Fish meal fertilizers, benefits and availability.

Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

adnan
City: sialkot
Gardening Interests: fruit trees, specially the ones which are not common to my area.

Bone/BLood/Fish meal fertilizers, benefits and availability.

Post by adnan »

Hi there,
Ooh firstly eid mubarik to all the fellow hobbiest.
In past couple of weeks i have read alot on doing things organically. And these three products have popped up in almost all the web blogs and gardening resources. I was wondering if anyone has experience with them. Their benefits, Composition, Cost and availability. Can i get them from lahore?

I am trying to grow vegetables and want to do it using only organic stuff, have done fairly well with bindi and green mircha. Will be trying shimla mirch, tomatoes, salad pata and may be rote bête.

Do comment.
dragoonsers
City: Karachi

Re: Bone/BLood/Fish meal fertilizers, benefits and availabil

Post by dragoonsers »

Bone/Blood/Fish meal are usually available but pretty expensive if you buy them from the store. Not to mention extremely smelly. I used em once, but I've had the best results with simple "gobar ki khaad" ie. manure. If you really are bent on using the meals, try making yours at home. You should try this around bakra eid, when horns, bones and blood is aplenty! :D

When the animal is slaughtered on soil, blood drains into it. I use that soil and add it to my potted plants. Works wonders! But attracts flies so have to mix it in. Maybe other folks here have better opinions!

Best.
adnan
Gardening Interests: fruit trees, specially the ones which are not common to my area.

Post by adnan »

Actually nursery chap is discouraging me. He says cow manure is great if you want to use it in pots for other readily available organic option is only "pato ke khad". He says cow manure causes "syonk". I dont know what its called in english but you know some times you see castles of clay in mud along the walls. Its also damages wooden furniture...oh thats termites but in soil i did had this issue in my old place. Every attempt to grow anything use to fail and plants will just die and reason was syonk in the soil. Those insects would just eat the roots.
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

How to use the manure? Pour fresh manure or old manure? Can we add manure to the soil in the pots other than previously mixed manure?
I have seen that the plants in the pots have low yeild as compared to the plants in the ground. What should be the possible and effective way of increasing yeild of a plant? Does the meat or the blood of animal will not cause plant to burn?
adnan

Post by adnan »

Mustansir Billah wrote:How to use the manure? Pour fresh manure or old manure? Can we add manure to the soil in the pots other than previously mixed manure?
I have seen that the plants in the pots have low yeild as compared to the plants in the ground. What should be the possible and effective way of increasing yeild of a plant? Does the meat or the blood of animal will not cause plant to burn?
As stated above i havent use these bone blood and fish fertilizers before. The reason i want to try them is i think they give lot of more control i.e. blood meal being rich in nitrogen and bone meal in phosphorus.
You should mix the manure when you are preparing the pot mix. I have seen people doing soil change after a year so they can add new fresh nutrients and manure but i add new stuff on the top of the pot and do some "Godi"

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”