confusion with fertilizing

Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

Faiqa Hameed
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Taking care of flowering plants.

confusion with fertilizing

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

hi, I have sown seeds of various summer flowers. I have confusion regarding fertilizer. Should i give fertilizer to them and if yes at which stage?which type of fertilizer is best for them.As the days are getting hotter in lahore so kindly help.
Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Re: confusion with fertilizing

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

when there are 4-6 true leaves of a baby plant u can start feeding them with little amount of NPK in a small ratio like 20.20.10. But it depends how enrich or poor is ur soil with its nutrient value and wt is its pH value.
Higher salt amount may kill ur new baby plant.
If plants are in container, dilute a 1teaspoonful of fertilizer in 1 gallon of water and apply it to the new plants. and if the new plants are in beds then spread a little amount of fertilizer and water the soil. hoe the soil before to add the fertilizer.

Usually, I donot recommend new seedlings to fertilizer them specially when u have well loamy or bhal soil enrich with organic matter and good pH value i,e 7.

However, for healthy, nourish young plant and fast growing 20.20.10 water soluble fertilizer per month is enough.
Learn & Share
Faiqa Hameed

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

Ok thanks alot Mr. Bilal
Faiqa Hameed

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

How we can check the fertility of the soil ????Is there any gauge or instrument for it ? Also I want to know how often we should water the pot of sown seeds ??
Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Soil fertility and soil pH are checked in Govt: agriculture or any private agric: laboratory. As according to my knowledge there is no any home kit to check soil fertility but Soil pH instrument are available in the market.

Always keep soil moist of new born seedlings. apply the water when the upper soil gets dry. Dont leave the soil dry out as seedling have weak root system. if the roots of seedlings get dry the plant will die.
Applying water to the seedlings depend on the soil media, hunidity & temperature of the area. If temperature get raised the evapo-transpiration also increase.
Check the soil for moisture of ur newly born seedling everyday.

Never keep soil soggy or saturated for a long time. saturated soil for a long period may kill ur plant. Plant root dont get oxygen as soil pores are filled with water in soggy soil.
As a general rule for watering, remember that roots need air as well as water.
Learn & Share
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

KUCH NA SUMJHAY KHUDA KARAY KOI
Faiqa Hameed

Post by Faiqa Hameed »

Thanx alot Mr Bilal ....this was beneficial info :)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:KUCH NA SUMJHAY KHUDA KARAY KOI
The subject has been thoroughly discussed in previous post
Following may be of some help.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=45&start=10#p2456

Arif
Tariq Usman
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: I am new grower of vegetables in coming season wanna grow off season veg

Post by Tariq Usman »

Dear
I am new in this field and not understanding the terminology what is 20:20:10 and how I can get knowledge of such like terminologies. I am vegetable grower at Islamabad. Islamabad is in which zone according to weather condition.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Muhammad Bilal wrote:when there are 4-6 true leaves of a baby plant u can start feeding them with little amount of NPK in a small ratio like 20.20.10. But it depends how enrich or poor is ur soil with its nutrient value and wt is its pH value.
Higher salt amount may kill ur new baby plant.
If plants are in container, dilute a 1teaspoonful of fertilizer in 1 gallon of water and apply it to the new plants. and if the new plants are in beds then spread a little amount of fertilizer and water the soil. hoe the soil before to add the fertilizer.

Usually, I donot recommend new seedlings to fertilizer them specially when u have well loamy or bhal soil enrich with organic matter and good pH value i,e 7.

However, for healthy, nourish young plant and fast growing 20.20.10 water soluble fertilizer per month is enough.
The main questions are;
What ratio of NPK?
How much?
How often?
For containers?
For beds?
Arif

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”