confusion with fertilizing

Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: confusion with fertilizing

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Muhammad Bilal wrote:when there are 4-6 true leaves of a baby plant u can start feeding them with little amount of NPK in a small ratio like 20.20.10. But it depends how enrich or poor is ur soil with its nutrient value and wt is its pH value.
Higher salt amount may kill ur new baby plant.
If plants are in container, dilute a 1teaspoonful of fertilizer in 1 gallon of water and apply it to the new plants. and if the new plants are in beds then spread a little amount of fertilizer and water the soil. hoe the soil before to add the fertilizer.

Usually, I donot recommend new seedlings to fertilizer them specially when u have well loamy or bhal soil enrich with organic matter and good pH value i,e 7.

However, for healthy, nourish young plant and fast growing 20.20.10 water soluble fertilizer per month is enough.
u can start feeding them with little amount of NPK in a small ratio like 20.20.10.
What is a little amount? How much N PPM?
What is a small ratio of NPK? to a lay man like me a ratio of 20-20-10 is the same as 40-40-20 or 4-4-2 or 2-2-1. Only you require ten time more 2-2-1 then 20-20-10 to get same parts of PPM {Nitrogen per Million (or same strength of NPK)}.

If plants are in container, dilute a 1teaspoonful of fertilizer in 1 gallon of water and apply it to the new plants.
One tea spoon full of 20-20-10 would be about 5 grams, dissolved in 1 gallon (4500cc) will give you a solution having over 200 parts of Nitrogen per Million parts.
SAKATA Culture sheets recommend starting with 50-75 PPM N.

Usually, I donot recommend new seedlings to fertilizer them specially when u have well loamy or bhal soil enrich with organic matter and good pH value i,e 7.
As you are in a position to recommend, I like to ask following questions
The main questions are;
What ratio of NPK? at various stages of plants life.
How much?
How often?
For containers?
For beds?
Arif
Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

Tariq Usman wrote:Dear
I am new in this field and not understanding the terminology what is 20:20:10 and how I can get knowledge of such like terminologies. I am vegetable grower at Islamabad. Islamabad is in which zone according to weather condition.
it shows the percentages of nitrogen (N), phosphate (P2O5) and potash (K2O) in the fertilizer. A 20:20:10 means fertilizer contains 20 percent Nitrogen, 20 percent Phosphorous and 10 percent potassium.
Learn & Share
farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

Muhammad Bilal wrote:
Tariq Usman wrote:Dear
I am new in this field and not understanding the terminology what is 20:20:10 and how I can get knowledge of such like terminologies. I am vegetable grower at Islamabad. Islamabad is in which zone according to weather condition.
Islamabad generally falls in zone 9 b

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”