Epsom salt / Magnesium sulfate

Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

punchi
City: Faisalabad

Epsom salt / Magnesium sulfate

Post by punchi »

Asalam u alikum
someone has suggested me to use Epsom salt as a fertilizer because my tomatoes are calcium deficient.

Can anybody tell me what is Urdu name for Epsom salt and usually from where I can find it
Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Re: Epsom salt / Magnesium sulfate

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

punchi wrote:Asalam u alikum
someone has suggested me to use Epsom salt as a fertilizer because my tomatoes are calcium deficient.

Can anybody tell me what is Urdu name for Epsom salt and usually from where I can find it
Instead Epsom salt (containing magnesium, sulfur and oxygen) use gypsum to makeup calcium deficiency in plants, as gypsum contain 22% calcium and calcium improves nutrients uptake and growth of plant. Also u can use fine grinded eggshell but it takes long time to decompose it before to supply calcium to the plant.
Learn & Share
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

All Solanum species including tomatoes are magnesium hungry plants, Apply soluble solution of Epsom salt when you see the leaves of the plant yellowing and falling off rapidly from below and the new growth is a bit curled. For calcium deficiency follow Mr. Bilal's advice, i myself use eggshells :)
new gardener

Post by new gardener »

In Karachi I Bought it as a Local name of MX .. from a chemical shop in Jodia bazar.
punchi

Post by punchi »

Yes I also bought it today.Urdu name is jalabi namak. Now I will make a solve it in water and apply it.pls suggest I should spray it on leave or water it to roots
punchi

Post by punchi »

Now my question is how much Epsom salt is to solve with 10 litter water
punchi

Post by punchi »

@Muhammad Bilal. Pls inform is it OK to use raw gypsum on soil. 1 tbsp is OK for each plant
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

You can use Epsom or Magnesium Sulphate to make up for the magnesium remedy. There are two way to use it. Either sprinkle directly into the soil at 25g/m2 or apply a foliar spray-210g in 10 litres of water.

You haven't described the symptoms which usually are yellowing on leaves between veins which remain green. Older leaves are more vulnerable. Colouration sometimes may be red or brown and in some severe cases the foliage tends to drop off.
Muhammad Bilal
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

U can use powdered form gypsum 1tsp for a plant. Spread the gypsum near the tomato plants, hoe or godi the soil around the plant then water well to promote absorption into the soil.
Learn & Share
punchi

Post by punchi »

I have sprayed 250 gm magnesium sulphate with 10 litter water but still the results are not good. Do I need more to spray. Secondly the ripening speed of fruits are also slow. As there is calcium deficiencies bottom end problem is also there [attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1399696982018.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1399696982018.jpg

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”