Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

umerilyas
City: lahore
Gardening Interests: intrested in fruits plants

Guava Problem

Post by umerilyas »

AOA Every one
I am in lahore,i planted 4 plants of guava in my lawn,three of them bore fruit this year but the problem with them is they all were tasteless,they were not sweet,nor sour nor bitter,i dont know why this happens with these fruits? any suggestion for this problem will be highly appreciated.

Further any suggestion for black rot fungus disease of grapes and also any medicine to avoid small insects in guava

Thank you
Umer
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Guava Problem

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Only Guava seedlings are available in the market. The seeds are not from selected fruits. Even plants from seeds of selected fruits may not bear same quality fruit.
Save the seeds of best fruit and sow them, good thing the plants will bear fruit the third year,keep the ones you like and remove the others.
Guava are badly affected by fruit fly, it can be reduced by using traps and a drug that attracts male insects.Both are available at Sabzi Mandi seed shops.
Grapes are successful in dry areas, in Lahore if it rains when the crop is almost ready you had it. Keeping the bunches dry will help.

For further help please contact Agricultural Sciences Members.
Arif
umerilyas
City: lahore
Gardening Interests: intrested in fruits plants

Post by umerilyas »

My dear u didnt answer my question regarding the cause and remedy for the taste of guava fruit.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Umer sb, I guess it is dependent on the guava variety. We also had 4 guava trees (grown by someone else). Each tree had a different form and taste. One tree had almost tasteless fruits.

Here is another view:
http://www.agroecommerce.com/Agroecomme ... vainfo.asp
There are mainly two crops of Guava. First in spring and second in winter. Fruits which comes in rainy season are tasteless and are of low grade.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

umerilyas wrote:My dear u didnt answer my question regarding the cause and remedy for the taste of guava fruit.
Only Guava seedlings are available in the market. The seeds are not from selected fruits. Even plants from seeds of selected fruits may not bear same quality fruit.
This is the cause of low quality taste less guava fruits. Only the guava propagated vegetativly from the best tasting fruit trees would give the desired result but unfortunately these plants are not available.
The remedy;
Save the seeds of best fruit and sow them, good thing the plants will bear fruit the third year,keep the ones you like and remove the others. (Some seedlings will be better than the parent and other worst).
Farooq is correct,winter crop is not only much sweeter it has lesser insect problem.
I hope I am clear now.
Arif

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”