Plant food

Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

ayub

Plant food

Post by ayub »

In Khi, there are small packets of different types of fertilizers available. I've also come across one known as "Quick Gro Plant Food", the ingredients written on the packet are "NPK Fertilizer+Iron Copper, sulphur, boron, Mangnesium, Manganese, Calcium". For usage its written:
POTS: (MEDIUM SIZE) 1/2 TEA SPOONS LEVEL PER MONTH OR AS REQUIRED
(LARGE SIZE) 1 TO 2 TEA SPOONS LEVEL PER MONTH OR AS REQUIRED
BEDS: 5 TEA SPOONS PER SQUARE METER PER MONTH OR AS REQUIRED
Similarly, packs for "ROSE FOOD" and "COCONUT FOOD" are available.

Experts kindly throw some light on its usage and benefits.
UMAR KHAN

Re: Plant food

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Aoa Ayub sb.actually NPK with some minor ingridents is an enough food for plants.NPK contains all the tree major ingridients essential for healthy growth of plants.N stands for nitrogen,P stands for phosprus ant K is for Potash.Nitrogen is essential for the green folige growt so it increases the size of the plant.Phosphorus developes the root system,making the plant health.Potash provides resistance against desieses thus making the plant vigor.Potash also increases the flower production.it increases the fruit yields so the orchard owners use it for fruit trees.Potash also adds nice color to fruits.all the other are minor ingridents.like iron.zinc,copper,magnetium.they are also essential for healthy growth specially on a farm which is never given a rest intervals in plantantions.on commercial bases we feed our oranges with NPK 17 17 17 formula for increase in production.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Ayub, "Quick gro plant food" is a combination of DAP and Urea with some lime. It has a pungent smell due to excessive Nitrogen. Use it in small quantities and always dissolved in water, say 1 teaspoon per 3-4 liters. I have used it and it works nice enough on roses, hibiscus, ficus etc

ROSE FOOD" and "COCONUT FOOD" have the same formula.

They are not much expensive when it comes to their pack size, I think the small pack is Rs.35/- (I haven't purchased these from 2 years)

For a small scale home gardener who grow perennial plants in pots, they are an easy source of plant nutrition which is readily available. However, they are unsuitable for the annuals and sensitive plants.

For large scale planting, Engro DAP (Di-Ammonium Phosphate) and Engro NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Kalium "Potassium") 17:17:17 is preferable. Available in granular form and are easy to apply.

DAP is Rs.70-80 per kg
NPK is Rs.80-90 per kg

I have come across a very nice fertilizer for sensitive and prized plants as well as seedling, which is "Growmore 20:20:20" it is Rs.350 per kg. It can be used as foliar fertilizer as well, application is 1 tablespoon per 8 liter. It is a product of a USA based company and also contains the trace elements. I have been using it for 2 years on my orchid, Anthurium, Thai Aglaonema and seedlings with good results.

People argue that using composted cow manure (Ojhri ki khaad) is enough for flowering annuals as well as for perennials. It is true that manure is an excellent soil conditioner and contains all the essential as well as trace elements but it disintegrate into soil pretty quickly so whether to apply it every third month (which is a bit difficult for a lazy person like me) or apply synthetic fertilizer.

I personally believe that all edibles should be grown in manure only, so one can have pure organic food, but for ornamental plants you want more blooms and beautiful foliage quickly and for a longer time.
ayub

Post by ayub »

Thnks Umar and Izhar for increasing my information

Izhar - yes ur right the pack is around 40-50 Rs. now. Though it is odourless and its usage is written on pack as layering the fertilizer on soil not by dissolving in water.

I've got following plants:
- 8 type of Roses
- 1 miniature rose
- 1 each of Raat-ki-Rani, Motia and common Jasmine i.e. Jasminum officinale
- 1 Alamanda
- Money plant & Rubber plant
- AloeVera
- 3 plants of Tall hybrid Dahlia
- 1 Australian Lime
- some vegetable plants including torai, corriander etc.

Can u ppl suggest the type of fertilizer for these plants. I think a single type of fertilizer can't be sufficient for all these type of plants. Can i use these artificial fertilizers in addition to cow manure.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

A monthly application of Engro NPK is good for all of them except Money plant (Epipremnum aureum), Aloe vera and Rubber plant (Ficus elastica) which need less fertilizers say every two months application.

for trace elements you can purchase products of different brands available, eg Utah, Growmore, Miracle-gro etc

For Lime (and every citrus) additionally use Epsom salt (Magnesium sulfate) for good yield and growth.

Do not fertilize Loofah (Turai / Ghiyya tori) as it will increase the foliage but has very little affect of yield.

Ayub, I know the instructions mentioned on it but I got better results by making its solution before application.
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mirafzalkhan »

Liquid foliar fertilizers are applied to foliage to boost nutrient density in Plants and to correct nutrient deficiencies. The main benefits of foliar spraying is that it can have up to a 90% efficiency rate of uptake as opposed to a 10% efficiency from soil applications. Also it becomes immediately available in the plant because they are 100% water soluble. This makes them perfect for correcting nutrient deficiencies. Soil amendments may take several days to take affect and the nutrients may be tied up with other elements and made unavailable to the plant. Depending on label instructions, you might fertilize every time you water or every other time. The advantage to liquid fertilizer is a steady supply of nutrients that you control. It's easy to suspend feeding when the plant is dormant during the winter months. Plants can absorb nutrients 10 to 20 times more efficiently through their leaf surfaces than through their roots. As a result, spraying foliage with liquid nutrients can produce remarkable results.

Slow-release fertilizers, like Dynamite and Osmocote, are coated in time-release shells that slowly leech nutrients into the soil. A single application of Dynamite can feed your plants for up to nine months, while Osmocote lasts about four months. (best for me and also for you Izhar :lol: )

Roses will thrive better if you use NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium) ratios of about 1:2:1 that is more Phosphorous than nitrogen or potassium such as 5-10-5, 10-20-10. If not available feed with all-purpose balanced fertilizer.
Magnesium is of significant importance to the roses. Magnesium sulfate, provided in the form of Epsom salts, is a secret for intensifying flower color, increasing flower production, and flushing harmful salts through the soil.

Where from you can get it. Check this:
Karachi: http://www.lahoregardening.com/2011/03/ ... rachi.html
Lahore: http://www.lahoregardening.com/2009/06/ ... arden.html
Islamabad: http://www.lahoregardening.com/2010/12/ ... es-of.html
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Very good input Mir Sb.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Any commercial source of Epsam salt in lahore and how to use it?

And one more question. Every water soluble fertilizer is considered foliar as well?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Pride seed store carry it. 1 tablespoon per 4 liters of water weekly (learned from a user in USA)
ayub

Post by ayub »

Thanks for the replies.

I've the same question as Khabbab i.e. "Every water soluble fertilizer is considered foliar as well?"
& Epsom Salt is good for using on all plants beside citrus too??

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”