Plant food for my plants

Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

mahreend
City: Lahore

Plant food for my plants

Post by mahreend »

Dear All,

Up till now, i believed that compost would be enough food for all plants but now that I am buying/ caring for my own plants, i am beginning to think differently : )

I have the following in my garden, please let me know which fertilizer/plant food to get maximum production/flowering and fruits:

- Calliandra tree
- Indian Dahlia
- Raat ki Raani
- Mogra Jasmine
- Chandni (Imported and not variegated)
- Dwarf Marwa
- Buddha tree
- Ficus
- Formosa
- Dwarf Gulchin
- Har Singhar
- Rangoon Creeper double
- Poinciana Dwarf
- Cannonball

Thank you so much
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Plant food for my plants

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

How old is your Budha, is it flowering?
mahreend

Post by mahreend »

Both the Buddha's are babies, about 6 feet tall.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

mahreend wrote:Dear All,

Up till now, i believed that compost would be enough food for all plants but now that I am buying/ caring for my own plants, i am beginning to think differently : )

I have the following in my garden, please let me know which fertilizer/plant food to get maximum production/flowering and fruits:

- Calliandra tree
- Indian Dahlia
- Raat ki Raani
- Mogra Jasmine
- Chandni (Imported and not variegated)
- Dwarf Marwa
- Buddha tree
- Ficus
- Formosa
- Dwarf Gulchin
- Har Singhar
- Rangoon Creeper double
- Poinciana Dwarf
- Cannonball

Thank you so much
First, read this post http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... ?f=13&t=69 it will help you a lot. Second, not all of these plants need fertilization at this time. Specially those plants which will go dormant in winter and grow again in spring/summer like gulchin, mogra jasmine and others, these should be fertilized in spring and then in summer. Monsoon is also a good time to fertilize specially cow dung in lahore.

So don't fertilize now. Do fertilize indian dahlia though, as suggested by umar khan, put few grains of DAP in the soil of pot. Budha should be end of flowering now so no fertilizer now. Har singhar should also finished bloom. When plants start producing buds, feed them with liquid soluble fertilizer with high potassium and low nitrogen and this solution better be a little weak as compared to strong one. I am not an expert in fertilizer but Brig Arif or other experts may guide you better on that :D .
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

Mahreen,

Diff plants have diff needs , not all can be reated the same way.It's better to fertilize flowering plants with NPK while other fruiting plants, trees etc with DAP or a mix of both.The best time to fertilize the plants is when they are in growth or have come out of dormancy.Fertilize during spring,summer and monsoon.
You can fertilize your trees with a mix of NPK and DAP.Fertilize others in spring.Winter is the time when you shud b looking to mulch them and not to fertilize.

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”