Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

Syedaliraza
City: lahore
Gardening Interests: Permanent plants, container plants

Drainage too fast

Post by Syedaliraza »

Hi All,

I'm following this forum for quite some time and I think this is a great platform for beginners like me.

I recently shifted some of my plants in pots and I used a mixture of 50% sandy soil and 50% leaf compost. Problem is that I think I used too much of compost because when I water, it drains too fast and I have to water plants frequently so my soil mix is not retaining moisture I think. I don't want to replant my plants once again but in summer it will be a nightmare because I will have to water them multiple times a day. Please tell me what can I do now?

One more question. Some of my plants are not put in pots deep enough so that when I water to the full, water does not reach to bottom unless I wait for water to go down then water again and then repeat it. Is it overwatering?
Umair
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: New Varieties and plant growth and propagation techniques

Re: Drainage too fast

Post by Umair »

1. Ur mixture is good. Just add some blockage in the bottom of pots like broken clay pots (Thikri) or Pebbles.
2. U can easily pass winters but in summers u will have to add blockage in bottom or else watering will be a 'daymare' for u
3. Just keep ur soil moist but not soggy. Watering instantly after one full splash makes soil soggy and might cause over watering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

[quote="Umair"]1. Ur mixture is good. Just add some blockage in the bottom of pots like broken clay pots (Thikri) or Pebbles.
2. U can easily pass winters but in summers u will have to add blockage in bottom or else watering will be a 'daymare' for u
3. Just keep ur soil moist but not soggy. Watering instantly after one full splash makes soil soggy and might cause over watering.

Sir I do not follow you in Toto, HELP
Umair
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: New Varieties and plant growth and propagation techniques

Post by Umair »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:
Umair wrote:1. Ur mixture is good. Just add some blockage in the bottom of pots like broken clay pots (Thikri) or Pebbles.

Sir I do not follow you in Toto, HELP
U can correct me whenever I am wrong Sir. Your input will b highly appreciated [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

You will find your answer in Garden Web, Container gardening forum.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:You will find your answer in Garden Web, Container gardening forum.
Perhaps I am asking too much.
Any way broken clay pots (Thikri) or Pebbles are used to improve the drainage and not block it. :mrgreen:

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”