Discussion related to Compost/Fertilizer/Plant Food

Moderator: Izhar

AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Fertilizer ??

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Hi i was at a nursery in lahore yesterday the nursey guy told me to spray my plants with 5-15-45 for plant growth and good strong foliage i have heard of names of fertilizers but these numbers seem to confuse me a bit can any enlighten me on this.
UMAR KHAN

Re: Fertilizer ??

Post by UMAR KHAN »

AoA Ahmad,don,t be confused.he meant NPK fertilizer.N=Nitrogen,P=phosphorus,K=Potash.the numbers he told you are the chemical analysis of the NPK fertilizer suitable for your plant.5(N)+15(P)+45(K).He told you to feed your plants with foliar NPK(5+15+45)Formula.this ratio is different for different plants.
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin
City: Karachi

Post by mirafzalkhan »

Every Fertilizer supply one or more plant nutrients essential to the growth of plants. Fertilizers typically provide the following nutrients in varying proportions:
Macronutrients: nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), potassium (K), calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), and sulfur (S);
Micronutrients: boron (B), copper (Cu), iron (Fe), manganese (Mn), molybdenum (Mo), and zinc (Zn).
The nutrients needed in the large Quantity are called Macronutrients and those which are needed in small quantities are Micronutrients.
The most important in macronutrients are nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. Fertilizer is often labeled by three numbers which shows the % of nitrogen(N), phosphorus(P) and potassium(K) (NPK) respectively. For e.g. 5-15-45 shows 5 % nitrogen 15% phosphorus and 45% potassium.
Every plant and every stage of growth has different requirements of fertilizer. In short nitrogen is essential for cell division, growth & photosynthesis. Phosphorus encourages root formation, growth and improves quality of fruit. Potassium improves resistance to diseases and insects, reduces water loss from the leaves and increases drought tolerance also encourages flowering and vital for rich colors.
That’s why the guy told you the fertilizer which is high in potassium & low in nitrogen for rich colors & more blooms and not for leaf boosting.
Our most common fertilizer analysis is given below:
Urea 46-0-0
DAP 18-46-0
Engro Zarkhez 8-23-18
Also check these posts
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=45
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=69
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Thanks for the intel i generally use DAP, in comparison to NPK, DAP has 0 potassium as ponited by mirafzalkhan so should i switch to NPK ??
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin
City: Karachi

Post by mirafzalkhan »

DAP is not general fertilizer. You can feed your plants with balanced fertilizer at any stage but for better results general rules for fertilization are:
At start when plant is in root formation stage feed your plant with high phosphate fertilizer like DAP for strong root development. (especially bulbs)
At growth stage feed your plant with all-purpose balanced fertilizer like 14-14-14 or 20-20-20.
For flowering or fruiting plants before one month of blooming season, cut the nitrogen and feed your plants with low nitrogen & high potash fertilizer. High-nitrogen fertilizer will cause lush foliage at the expense of blooms.
Some plants have specific needs of fertilizer. Roses will thrive better if you use NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium) ratios of about 1:2:1.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Ahmad it depends on what you are growing.what is the stage of your plants.i feed my Dahlias on DAP,to develop strong root system as it contains phosphorus in higher ratio than nitrogen.at the same time it needs nitrogen to increase its volume.nitrogen no is lesser than phospurus in DAP.So its great for Dahlias.i m enjoying the dinner plates,they are blooming day by day.remember too much nitrogen promotes too much foliage on expense of flowers.the lawn grass requires phosphorus for strnong roots.feed it with DAP in last week of DEC.stronger the roots,stronger the turf.when the spring arrives the grass attains its green color rapidly.for oranges NPK granular.potash gives high yields of fruits.so the reqts are different for diff plants at different time.at the same time micronutrients are also very important.it will take some time to become expert in fertilizers.its one of the fun of gardening.Mir sb briefed in detail.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Thanks everyone bt i keep trimming my plants and dont let them bloom till the end of febuary so what do you suggest in such case, i am posting a few pictures for you to better see what stages my plants are in.
Attachments
calceolaria
calceolaria
Dianthus
Dianthus
Salvia
Salvia
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Other than the pics i have planted
cyclamen
lisianthus
Petunias
Statice
Verbena
Pholox
Snapdragons
Ranunculus
Gazania
Begonia
Primula
Indian Dhalias
Attachments
Hyacinths
Hyacinths
Anemone
Anemone
Oriental lily
Oriental lily
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Ahmad Cyclamen do not flower in our climate.do remember when you are going to purchase see is that annual fit in our climate.the pictures will attract you but make it sure is it fit in our climate or not.Tuberous begonia,azelea,hydrangea,primula,fuschia,primula,african violets all appeal to eyes but are not fit in our climate.they are nice flowers but in hilly areas like galiyat & swat.even i wil mention the so called indian dahlia the result in murree we cant grow it like that in our climate.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

I bought indian dhalia 8 years ago and have been using its cutting every year with great flowers, the mother plant died this year coz of the extra rains in ramzan, i've bought some new indian dhalia plants this years hoping to see them bloom in febuary ,i've seen cyclaman plants flowering in more green nursery on raiwind road and some of the model town nurseries have it too, i've attached pictues of begonia seem to be doing well not sure of the variety, primulas i buy small plants from nurseries which so called have been grown in murree they flower good for the spring season atleast, i wish i could plant hydrangea have never seen those in lahore. Coming back i use DAP for all my seasonals i wanna know if i could treat them better with a different fertilizer.
Attachments
JPG 015.jpg

Return to “Compost/Fertilizer/Plant food”